This position is accountable for the overall operations management of the utilities department in an integrated pulp and paper manufacturing facility. Department has responsibility for producing steam and electricity as safely, economically, and reliably as possible within all environmental, technical and regulatory limits. This position requires accurate determination and communication of operational priorities and the demonstrated human resource skills to effectively manage operations personnel in a 24 hour/day, seven-days/week environment. In addition, this position is accountable for the active implementation of processes and initiatives to maximize plant output through the improvement of equipment reliability and availability.
This position is also responsible for monitoring the efficiency and availability of all plant equipment, conducting and coordinating tests, and recommending improvements, whenever possible, to provide maximum availability, efficiency and safety in the operation of those facilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Manage all aspects of department operations to assure business objectives and goals are met.
• Provide technical support to plant maintenance, operations, and administrative functions necessary to improve the safety, environmental, budget and production performance of the department.
• Work closely with department and engineering resources to identify and drive processes for continuous improvement in equipment availability and department heat rate.
• Work closely with maintenance to support the maximum equipment availability by effectively prioritizing daily, weekly, monthly and annual maintenance activities.
• Serves as a team member investigating fundamental problems in plant processes to initiate development of recommended solutions.
• Develop and implement an operational accountability structure to ensure that critical parameters and equipment are being routinely monitored to support reliable operations.
• Serves as NERC liaison for site. This involves familiarization with current and future NERC regulations applicable to the site as well as development of necessary policies and procedures.
• Develop methods, systems, and approaches by which individuals are coached to become more accountable for their personal results and contributions to the overall competitiveness of the plant.
• Maintain high standards for plant housekeeping and overall cleanliness.
• Develop and maintain high quality training methods to attract, retain, and maintain a highly skilled and motivated workforce.
• Assumes other duties as assigned by Utilities Director.
• Qualifications –
- Ability to provide direction to various operational and technical crafts
- Strong planning capabilities and the skills to analyze and interpret data to make sound recommendations
- Strong customer focus (internally & externally)
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Demonstrates initiative and adaptability
- Willingness to work off-hours as business needs dictate
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Effective time and resource management skills
- OSIsoft PI Historian experience with PI ProcessBook and Excel is desired
- SAP experience desired
- MS Word, Excel, and Outlook experience required
• Education – B.S. Degree in Chemical, Electrical, or Instrumentation Engineering with 7-10 years experience working with process plant equipment. A detailed understanding of power plant technical theory and plant equipment and control requirements are essential.
• Working Conditions -
- Normal power plant environment and/or out of doors work environment. Includes working at heights, high/low ambient temperatures and high humidity areas.
- Regular extended and non-standard hours during critical issue resolution and to achieve project milestones
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, fall protection, etc.)
- Requires working around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals
Glatfelter - 2 years ago
P. H. Glatfelter Company (Glatfelter) is a manufacturer of specialty papers and fiber-based engineered products. It manufactures a range of...