The University of Rhode Island's Harrington School of Communication and Media invites applications for a 9-month tenured or tenure-track position at either the Assistant or Associate Professor level, with anticipated start date in Fall 2013. The appropriate tenure department and possible joint appointment(s) are negotiable.
The new interdisciplinary school is located in the College of Arts & Sciences and is comprised of programs in communication studies, journalism, public relations, film/media, library and information studies, and writing and rhetoric. The Individual will be instrumental in advancing the development of the Public Relations major, which is the only selective admission degree program at the Harrington School, enrolling nearly 200 of our best and brightest students. The successful candidate will have significant prior experience in public relations advocacy in the context of community, corporate, governmental or non-profit organizations. The candidate will have a track record of accomplishments as a public relations professional as appropriate of the rank of assistant or associate professor.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Engage in teaching, research or creative activities that are appropriate to the candidate's areas of expertise.
Teach innovative online learning courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Advise undergraduate and graduate students.
Exercise leadership in program and curriculum development.
Engage in service at the university, local, regional and national levels, and develop robust relationships with stakeholders at those levels.
Actively participate in one of the Harrington School's three interdisciplinary clusters: (1) Digital Media Competency, (2) Communicating Science, or (3) Collaboration, Leadership and Advocacy.
Be instrumental in advancing the development of the Public Relations major, the only selective admission degree program at the Harrington School.
1. An advanced degree appropriate to the area of the candidate's specialization, including Ph.D., M.B.A., or other degree in an appropriate field;
2. At the Associate Professor level, 7 or more years of successful public relations industry experience is required, and at the Assistant Professor level, 5 years of professional experience in the field of Public Relations is required;
3. Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas: digital advocacy, social media promotion strategies, crisis communication, political campaigns, campaign development, management, branding and image management, government relations, community, corporate or non-profit communication, or other areas of expertise relevant to the mission of the Harrington School;
4. A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the field of public relations;
5. A demonstrated track record and portfolio of accomplishments and expertise in the practice of advocacy;
6. A demonstrated appreciation for the principles of student-centered pedagogy and willingness to participate in mentoring, as demonstrated in the statement of educational philosophy.
7. A publication record, creative work, or evidence of professional accomplishments appropriate to the rank sought.
1. Demonstrated expertise in the use of social media for public relations and advocacy;
2. A network of professional relationships in the New England area;
3. A demonstrated interest in mentoring students and helping place them in appropriate entry-level positions.
4. Demonstrated teaching experience at the college or university level.
This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
University of Rhode Island - 17 months ago