Southern Illinois University (SIU) Carbondale Internal Search
Assistant to the Chancellor
SIU Carbondale is conducting an internal search to fill the position of Assistant to the Chancellor. This position reports to the SIU Carbondale Chancellor and is located on the Carbondale campus. This internal search is limited to current SIU Carbondale employees (including the School of Medicine in Carbondale and Springfield). Nominations and applications are invited.
The Assistant to the Chancellor serves as a member of the Chancellor's administrative team, reporting directly to the Chancellor. This position is responsible for coordinating the campus planning initiatives, including the measurement and accountability for the long-term initiatives outlined in Pathways to Excellence — A Strategic Plan and other planning efforts; serves as the Chancellor's primary liaison to the Vice Chancellors, the Deans of the Colleges, the Office of the President, and other campus offices; assists in the development of administrative policies for the campus; advances the Chancellor's vision and direction for the campus; prepares and/or edits strategic communications, reports and proposals for the Chancellor as needed; works directly with all Vice Chancellors, Executive Directors, and others reporting directly to the Chancellor to independently resolve issues and problems that arise throughout the campus; provides senior management with ongoing planning and analysis for effective decision making; works with people at all levels of the organization to implement management decisions and directives; resolves problems and issues and develop methods of more efficient operations; develops, reviews, interprets and operationalizes administrative policies; prepares and coordinates Board Matters and other required materials for submission to the President's Office; prepares special reports for internal and external audiences; serves as delegated fiscal officer for the Chancellor; approves and oversees employment contract compliance for the Office of the Chancellor responsibility area; represents the Chancellor, when appropriate, on committees and task forces and at special events at the University and in the broader community; and other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Advise the Chancellor on a wide variety of issues, involving internal and external campus issues.
- Represent the Chancellor in discussions with the Chancellor's Executive Staff, Deans, and Directors, and other campus senior leadership regarding policies and operational issues, priorities, and goals pertaining to the campus.
- Responsible for facilitating communication and interaction between the Chancellor, her/his executive committee, chief executive officers and system officers.
- Coordinate the campus planning initiatives, including the measurement and accountability for the long-term initiatives.
- Prepare and/or coordinate Board Matters.
- Prepare routine and special reports, approve and oversee employee contract compliance and campus purchasing compliance requiring Chancellor's approval.
- Develop, review, interpret, and operationalize administrative policies (necessary to ensure that appropriate decision-making protocols are followed).
- Research and analyze problems, take action to solve problems or make recommendations to the Chancellor.
- Responsible for coordinating with the Vice Chancellors on campus space allocation.
- Track, monitor and follow the progress of projects, action items, and strategies that emanate from the Chancellor's Executive Committee and the Chancellor's Planning and Budget Advisory Council.
- Maintain strict confidentiality in performance of all duties.
- Serve as delegated fiscal officer for the Chancellor.
This is a security sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
- Must be a current employee of SIU Carbondale, including the School of Medicine.
- Master's Degree required.
- Effective interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills required.
- A minimum of three to five years experience providing administrative support to an administrator in the area of higher education required.
- Experience with planning, budgeting, fiscal and employment operations at SIU Carbondale preferred.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures and Board of Trustee policies is preferred.
- Thorough and comprehensive understanding of the University's mission, organizational structures, operations, programs, policies, as well as broad knowledge of current issues impacting the University preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in meeting demanding schedules and multiple timelines preferred.
Effective Date of Appointment: As soon as possible.
Deadline for Applications/Nominations: For fullest consideration, nominations or applications must be received in the office of the Chancellor by Wednesday, May 29, 2013, close of business.
Application Procedure: A complete application will include a letter of interest, resume, and three current letters of recommendation addressed to:
Assistant to the Chancellor Search
Office of the Chancellor
Mail Code 4304
Anthony Hall, Room 116
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
1265 Lincoln Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901
SIU Carbondale is an affirmative
action/equal opportunity employer that strives to enhance its
ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to
diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and
will receive consideration.
Founded in 1869, SIUC maintains more than 100 finely tuned academic programs that lead to associate, baccalaureate, master's, specialist's,...