About DC Public Charter School Board:
The DC Public Charter School Board (PCSB) is setting a national model for creating quality public school options that is leading the transformation of public education in the nation's capital. As Washington, DC's independent charter authorizer, PCSB is facilitating a new generation of college-bound scholars and reshaping ideas of what is possible in urban education today by approving innovative new public charter schools, closing poor-performing schools and conducting oversight of public charter school performance. More than 35,000 students attend DC public charter schools, or roughly 43% of the DC public school population, and the number is only expected to grow. For more information about PCSB, visit www.dcpcsb.org.
Summary of the Job:
The Communications Associate is responsible for using cutting-edge digital tools to build an engaged and mobilized community that is committed to change in urban public education through public charter schools and the work of DC Public Charter School Board (PCSB). The associate would be responsible for creating powerful campaigns around PCSB content -- through the website, multimedia/social media channels, and editorial publications -- that make measurable improvements in public understanding about the mission of PCSB and the role of DC public charter schools. Curiosity, innovation, a drive to defend and promote ideas and causes, along with flexibility and a commitment to change through social engagement, are must-haves for any candidate. The Associate reports to the Director of Communications and works seamlessly with PCSB executive leadership, staff, DC public charter schools, DC education and government agencies, charter support organizations and others to get our messages out clearly and effectively. The Associate also contributes to and supports all other communications department initiatives and events.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Multimedia/Social Media Content
- Proactively curates and edits website content, ensuring readability and usability, search engine and social media optimization and effective messaging.
- Creates website content that mobilizes audiences on the work of PCSB and DC public charter schools, including a consistent posting schedule for the PCSBlog three times a week.
- Sets and monitors strategic web analytics goals and metrics.
- Constantly monitors online conversations about charter schools and strategically identifies opportunities to interject into the dialogue.
- Polices PCSB's online brand on external sources (dc.gov, local blogs and community listserves) and using superior judgment, creates compelling original content to correct, refute, update or enlighten.
- Creates or finds compelling digital content experiences (i.e. videos, infographics, interactive blog posts) with maximum potential for peer-to-peer sharing.
- Researches and develops relationships with local and national online influencers and community stakeholders.
- Strategically manages social media accounts (Flickr, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) with an eye toward creating campaigns and increasing engagement.
- Live-tweets PCSB public events such as monthly board meetings.
- Curates PCSB Daily Media clips, a roundup of local and national charter and education coverage.
- Compiles, edits and publishes Tuesday Bulletin , PCSB's weekly e-newsletter to DC charter schools.
- Contributes content to PCSB publications such as the Annual Report.
- Assists in revising and copyediting content developed by other PCSB departments prior to publication.
Qualifications, Experience and Qualities
- Grows and maintains up-to-date subscriber lists.
- Manages communications department platforms (VOCUS, iContact) and email accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- 2-5 years of relevant experience in communications, digital communications or social media, preferably in education, non-profit or in an advocacy capacity.
- Experience in political campaigns or community organizing a major plus.
- Experience with HTML and open-source CMS such as Wordpress or Drupal.
- In-depth understanding of using social media tools and emerging platforms to promote a cause or campaign.
- Experience with digital and social media management and measurement tools.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with an ability to synthesize complex topics for multiple audiences and mediums.
- Attention to detail - experience with AP Stylebook and/or Chicago Manual of Style a plus – while maintaining focus on bigger messaging picture.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google applications required; well-honed sense of graphic design and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, or Final Cut Pro preferred.
- Enthusiasm and eagerness to take initiative and set digital messaging priorities.
- Outstanding judgment required to manage multiple tasks/activities simultaneously while meeting deadlines and maintaining quality.
- Flexibility, creativity, proactive communications approach and sense of humor required.
- Clear understanding and commitment to PCSB's mission and vision.
idealist.org - 15 months ago