IFC Asset Management Company, LLC (AMC) is the fund management arm of International Finance Corporation (IFC). AMC was established in 2009 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of IFC, to mobilize and manage third-party capital for investment in private enterprise in developing and frontier markets. It aims to enhance IFC’s development impact and financial sustainability, as well as generating profits for investors. AMC –managed funds are targeted at large sophisticated investors who are looking to increase their exposure to emerging markets and who are interested in accessing IFC’s transaction pipeline, investment approach and standards, global reach and track record of superior returns. AMC currently has over $4.7 billion under management in the following funds:
- IFC Global Infrastructure Fund, which invests alongside IFC in infrastructure and, selectively, natural resources companies and projects in emerging markets
- IFC African, Latin American and Caribbean Fund, which co-invests in IFC equity and equity related transactions in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean across a broad range of sectors
- IFC Capitalization Fund, which invests in the equity and subordinated debt of large domestic commercial banks in developing countries
- Africa Capitalization Fund, which makes equity or equity-related investments in commercial banks in North and Sub-Saharan Africa
- IFC Russian Capitalization Fund which makes equity and equity-related investments in commercial banks in Russia
- IFC Catalyst Fund, a fund of funds platform to invest in private equity funds focused on low-carbon and climate-friendly companies and projects in the emerging markets globally (“Climate Business”), as well as to make co-investments with its investee funds.
In addition, AMC is planning to raise and manage additional funds in the future, each with a focus on a particular sector, region or product.
IFC’s investment departments support AMC by providing origination, execution and supervision services, but all investment and portfolio decisions for funds under management are taken independently by AMC.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The IFC Global Infrastructure Fund (GIF) raises capital from sovereign and pension funds, and other global asset managers, to invest alongside IFC in infrastructure companies and projects in emerging markets globally. IFC’s operating departments will assist AMC in originating, executing and supervising the fund’s investments, but all investment and portfolio decisions will be taken entirely by AMC.
AMC is looking to hire an Associate for the IFC Global Infrastructure Fund based in Washington, DC to focus on the development and execution of investments for the Fund in coordination with the IFC business development teams and regional offices. The Associate will report to the Fund Head/Deputy Head and will be responsible for (i) working on AMC/IFC investment teams; (ii) working with the Fund Head and other AMC team members to structure, negotiate and monitor a solid and well balanced investment portfolio; (iii) assisting the team in supervising the ongoing performance of the fund’s portfolio companies; (iv) maintaining a good relationship with the fund’s investors and with IFC investment teams and assist in providing timely delivery of information.
In particular, the Associate will:
- Establish strong credibility with investee companies, IFC staff and the fund’s investors;
- Help develop and track a pipeline of potential fund investments in coordination with IFC’s business development teams and regional offices;
- Provide input for deal structuring and negotiation to AMC and IFC investment teams;
- Assist with the presentation of investment proposals to the fund’s Investment Committee, articulating the detailed investment rationale and making concrete recommendations regarding proposed investments;
- Help monitor portfolio companies and develop recommendations regarding portfolio actions including divestitures;
- Selectively participate in fund raising activities both for the fund and for other AMC managed funds; and,
The successful candidate is likely to have worked for a private equity firm or an international financial institution or major bank with emerging markets presence. He/she will have a good understanding of and practical experience in valuation, structuring, portfolio management and business strategy.
The successful candidate will possess: familiarity with international best market practices and global trends in the infrastructure sector; an understanding of the diverse infrastructure sub-sectors and an ability to assess an infrastructure project or company’s operations; strong analytical skills, with experience in financial modeling; experience in structuring private equity deals, including an ability to mitigate risks and enhance returns; and expertise in negotiating deals.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas
- M.B.A or equivalent degree;
- 3+ of post-MBA or equivalent experience focusing on private equity/ infrastructure-related transactions;
- Strong analytical and investment assessment skills, and sound knowledge of investment documentation, accounting, financial statement analysis and financial modeling;
- Sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and commercial skills;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a diverse, team-oriented environment;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences; fluency in other languages (e.g. Chinese, French, Spanish) would be a plus;
- A willingness to travel frequently is required.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to AMCRecruit@ifc.org.
NOTE: The selected candidate will be employed directly by AMC, which is a distinct legal entity to IFC.
IFC Asset Management Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
Launched in September 1994, The Independent Film Channel (IFC) is the first channel entirely dedicated to presenting independent film,...