Under close direction, performs entry-level legal work involving a wide range of municipal and criminal law topics; handles the more routine professional legal tasks, with instruction and the more difficult and complex tasks with assistance as needed; and performs other work as required.
The following typical tasks and responsibilities are representative of this class. They are descriptive, not limiting.
licenses and other legal instruments
- Drafts ordinances, charter amendments, resolutions, contracts, deeds, leases, permits,
city in such hearings
- Conducts legal research as needed
- Prepares and prosecutes criminal matters
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of civil litigation cases
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of administrative/court hearings and represents the
regulations, court decisions, laws and other legal authority
- Reviews and interprets federal, state, county and city statutes, ordinances, rules,
The Associate Attorney must possess the following characteristics: strong customer service orientation, "can do" team attitude, responsiveness, analytical ability, political savvy, excellent investigative skills, sensitivity to legal issues, strong work ethic and a sense of humor.
Applications will only be accepted from those applicants who clearly demonstrate on both the COMPLETED City application and resume that they have:
- Graduated from an American Bar Association accredited law school with a Juris Doctor
Licenses, Certificates or Special Requirements:
- No prior legal experience is required
OTHER MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge of: Legal research methods; rules of evidence and general statutory and case law; computer applications related to work. Ability to: Communicate with others, make sound decisions and to assimilate and understand information in a manner consistent with the essential job functions; prepare cases, secure necessary information and interview witnesses; draft and prepare legal documents; establish effective working relationships. Physical Conditions or Special Working Conditions:
- Active member of the California State Bar Association
- A valid California Class "C" driver's license
- Must be able to pass a police background check
Standard office environment and working conditions; must be able to work evenings and attend meetings as requested by the City Attorney.
EXAMINATION: (Weighted 100%) The method of examination may include one or more of the following: written exam; oral exam; evaluation of education, training, experience or other qualifications as shown by the application, resume; or by other information submitted, or by the record; questionnaires submitted to references; or any other appropriate measure of fitness. A minimum passing score of 70% is required.
Note: Admission to the examination may be limited to those applicants who demonstrate the best combination of qualifications on the application and resume. Applicants possessing the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed admission to the examination.
City of Bakersfield, CA - 22 months ago