One of the largest writers of surety in the United States, HCC Surety Group provides contract, commercial, court and bail bonds to clients of all sizes: from sole proprietors to large publicly-traded companies. Our talented group of professionals is adept at underwriting traditional surety, and possesses the knowledge & creativity to offer solutions for specialty "hard-to-place" risks often dismissed by the surety marketplace at-large.
We have an opportunity for an Associate Bond Claims Examiner who will be a key member of our Contractor License Bond (CLB) Claims team. Under immediate supervision, the Associate Bond Claims Examiner will be responsible for investigating, analyzing, negotiating, and settling primarily routine Contractors License Bond claims. This position will report to our Bond Claims Manager and will work out of our downtown, Los Angeles, CA office.
Relying on instructions and pre-established guidelines, the Bond Claims Examiner - Associate is responsible for accomplishing the following as guided by others. These assignments are routine in nature.
- Determine the validity of primarily routine bond claims by performing research in such areas as business, professional, and insurance codes.
- Contact and respond to inquiries from claimants, principals, and other clients concerning bond claims; Maintain professional demeanor and discretion with clients.
- Document claims review in departmental systems as guided by company policy and procedure to ensure that all regulatory deadlines are met.
- Draft, prepare and send claim status correspondence to affected parties using mail, fax, or other electronic means.
- Seek approval or denial of claim from authorized personnel once claim review has been completed.
- Maintain claim files – both physical and electronic.
- Follow work plans, established timelines, and pre-defined goals for assigned work.
- Meet commitments on deadlines.
- Communicate activities and results with employees and management as appropriate.
- Perform work thoroughly in a cost efficient manner and at a high productivity level.
Business Controls and Policies
- Comply with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Report any breakdown in controls to management.
- Conduct all activities in a safe manner.
- No people management responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience. Some law school or legal coursework preferred.
- Up to two years of relevant and progressive professional experience in insurance claims or work as a legal assistant
- Possess and have ability to apply basic knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures
- Good written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy
- Good organizational and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledgeable of industry changes, legal updates and technical developments related to applicable area of the Company’s business to proactively respond to changing business environment
- Proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office Package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Overtime hours may be required to fulfill job responsibilities
- May require travel outside normal work location
- May require a valid driver’s license
- May be required to stoop, bend, or sit for extended periods of time
- May be required to lift up to 10 pounds
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices
- Close vision and ability to adjust focus; required to read a computer screen
Note: This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed, and is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the job.
HCC offers a competitive salary and employee benefit package. We are a successful, dynamic organization experiencing rapid growth and are seeking an energetic and confident individual to join our team of professionals. HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal-opportunity employers. Please visit www.hcc.com for more information about our companies.