The Associate Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel, North America, within the US Legal Department and will be responsible for a wide variety of legal matters, working collaboratively with the other lawyers and paralegals in the Americas Institutional/Corporate Legal Group, the rest of the US Legal team and directly with internal clients.
The Associate Counsel will be responsible for supporting a number of Russell business units, including being the legal point person for the Americas Institutional business, and will focus on significant corporate, securities, investment and ERISA matters. This work will include support of various products and services, including investment consulting services, asset management through separate accounts and commingled funds offered through LLCs and through Russell Trust Company, and advisory and brokerage services. Russell's Legal department emphasizes teamwork and collaboration among all of its attorneys and values the strong relationships developed with the business units supported by the team. There are currently nine attorney positions located in Russell's headquarters in Washington State, seven of which make up the US Legal team. In addition Russell's Chief Legal Officer and Global General Counsel are based at the headquarters and work closely with the US team as well as the global Legal team, with attorneys located in Toronto, Sydney, Melbourne, London and Tokyo.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
The successful candidate will have extensive demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- Advising the Americas Institutional business on a wide variety of managed account and institutional funds matters (i.e., funds exempt from registration under the 1940 Act under 3(c)7 and 3 (c)11), including existing funds and the development of new products, and supporting the Americas Institutional business generally.
- Advising on fiduciary matters governing the consulting and asset management businesses, including those arising under ERISA.
- Attending quarterly board meetings and maintaining general governance processes for Russell Trust Company and other entities that may be created for the development and distribution of institutional investment products and services.
- Reviewing responses to requests for proposals, sales and marketing materials
- Advising compliance, risk and operations on implementation issues and policies and procedures
- Addressing general legal matters, such as advising on new legislation or regulatory changes, negotiating contracts, general corporate matters, etc.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts with sub-advisers and external clients.
- Participating in industry forums such as SIFMA and maintaining relationships with regulators, including the Washington State division of financial institutions.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience advising asset management clients
- Experience with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as amended
- Ability to advocate for practical, business-oriented solutions
- Willingness to learn new subject matters and address issues big and small
- Strong problem-solving and client relationship skills
- Experience with Washington State trust regulators
No longer Frank Russell's company (it's a subsidiary of Northwestern Mutual), Russell Investments provides investment services to...