Job ID: : 26698
Department: : Legal
City: : Bloomington, MN
Location: : HP - Bloomington 8170 Office Bldg
Position Type: : Full-Time
Anticipated Work Schedule: : Monday through Friday
Hrs/Pay Period: : 80
Job Description: :
The culture at HealthPartners is one of ownership, pride, service, and most importantly, partnership. That spirit of partnership among employees, and with patients and the community is just one of the many reasons we were recently named one of the Twin Cities best places to work by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. Join us for a career that offers respect, support and encouragement. You’ll stay for the power of partnership.
We currently have an exciting new opportunity for an Associate Counsel. The purpose of the Associate Counsel in the Law and Risk Management Department is to provide risk-based legal advice to HealthPartners and its related entities respecting care delivery activities. Areas of desired expertise include fraud and abuse, contracting (e.g. professional services, vendor, IS&T), anti-trust, tax exemption, transactions, privacy, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement and regulatory compliance. Over time, this position’s sophistication, breadth and depth of legal expertise, client assignments and substantive areas of law will increase.
ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Key roles, responsibilities & functions for this position)
(For supervisory position -- indicate positions/departments supervised)
1. Provide in-depth analysis and legal advice to clients in select business units, consistent with the organization’s risk tolerance.
2. Conduct factual inquiries and identify legal issues.
3. Conduct legal research and analysis.
4. Develop and recommend legal strategy and compliant solutions for business challenges in a highly regulated industry.
1. Negotiate, draft, review and revise agreements and a variety of other legal documents.
2. Represent and advocate for HealthPartners and its related organizations before a variety of agencies, regulatory bodies or tribunals as required by their job duties.
3. Work collaboratively within assigned team(s), other teams, and the department and as part of interdisciplinary teams.
4. Work independently with assigned clients and on select projects.
5. Actively develop additional areas of expertise; act as back up in multiple substantive areas.
6. Conduct litigation project management and support significant corporate transactions.
7. Manage outside counsel as needed.
8. Model HealthPartners values of passion, teamwork, integrity and respect.
9. Perform other duties as assigned by Deputy General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (Minimum qualifications needed for this position)
- Law Degree from an accredited school with strong academic credentials.
- At least 3 years of legal experience, preferably advising health care delivery entities. Strong communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Windows and electronic document management environments. Must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and an ability to adapt to new and emerging technologies.
- Current license to practice; must be admitted to Minnesota Courts within 6 months or as determined by Chief Legal Officer.
DECISION-MAKING: (What rules or precedents limit the activities and authority of this position What types of problems or decisions are referred to the supervisor)
- Experience in healthcare, healthcare delivery and financing, health law, insurance or other experience in the healthcare industry which would support HealthPartners mission and vision.
- Intellectual curiosity and a life-long desire to learn.
Exercise independent judgment on specific legal matters with as needed oversight by the Deputy General Counsel, Chief Legal Officer or his or her designee.
HealthPartners is nationally acclaimed for providing outstanding patient care and we offer an excellent salary and benefits package. For more information and to apply go to www.healthpartners.com/careers and search for job ID #26698.
Health is what we do. Partnership is how we do it.
HealthPartners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The largest consumer-governed, nonprofit health care organization in the nation, HealthPartners provides care, coverage, research and...