Under the supervision of Assigned Management, this position acts to protect the legal interests of Lifetime Healthcare, Inc. and its subsidiaries, affiliates, and any joint ventures (collectively, the “Corporations”). The incumbent is responsible for handling a range of moderately complex legal projects in assigned areas for the Corporations. Supports business owners and defined legal practice areas as assigned or as directed by Assigned Management. The Associate Counsel may monitor the activities of external counsel.
• Represents the Corporations for the purpose of protecting the Corporations’ assets, operations, and public image.
• Acting under the supervision of Assigned Management, provides and coordinates legal services for corporate operations and activities within assigned legal areas or as directed by Assigned Management. Advises management and staff of legal recommendations, considerations, implications, and alternatives for business decisions.
• Supports assigned legal practice areas and assigned internal clients. Is responsible for assigned tasks and obligations, and for the completion of those tasks. Assists in coordinating with other members of the Corporate Legal Department and implementing strategy for managing and resolving legal issues within assigned legal practice areas and with or on behalf of assigned internal clients.
• Conducts thorough legal research of all relevant issues and investigates all relevant facts regarding legal assignments, including conferences and interviews with internal clients. Communicates verbally and in writing in a professional, concise and easily understandable manner, providing clear direction and/or recommendations regarding assigned matters.
• Regularly reviews and prioritizes workload and maintains a neat and organized workspace.
• Proactively communicates with internal clients from time to time as necessary or appropriate regarding expectations of the content of the legal work product and timeframes for completion of work.
• Builds working relationships within the Corporate Legal Department and with internal clients.
• May attend committee and task force meetings, as requested by members of Corporate Legal Department in more senior positions. Under the supervision of Assigned Management, may represent the Corporate Legal Department in external meetings, negotiations, regulatory interactions, and proceedings of a legal nature within assigned legal practice areas and with or on behalf of assigned internal clients.
• Where appropriate, may coordinate activities with and monitor the activities of outside counsel on behalf of the Corporations. May assist in the preparation of information and material requested by outside counsel.
• Acting under the supervision of Assigned Management, may provide advice to management and staff regarding inquiries from groups, providers, members, representatives, legislators, and governmental agencies that require legal interpretation. Reviews written responses to inquiries; may respond directly to inquiries, as the situation warrants, as assigned.
• Regularly reviews and keeps abreast of relevant developments in the law, proposed legislation, and regulations and advises management and staff regarding the impact of such developments on business operations.
• Keeps abreast of developments germane to the job function by participation or attendance at seminars, workshops and professional society meetings, review of publications, satisfaction of CLE obligations, and, as necessary or appropriate, independent study.
• Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by supporting the Corporations’ missions and values and adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct.
• Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the corporate privacy policies and procedures and applicable law.
• Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
• Performs other functions as assigned by management.
• Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree and admission to the New York State Bar.
• Prior experience as a practicing attorney; a minimum of two years’ experience is preferred.
• Prior legal experience in the health care and/or health insurance industry preferred; experience in litigation, regulatory compliance, including interaction with regulators, and contract negotiation and preparation preferred.
• Knowledge of state and federal law and regulation governing the health care and/or health insurance industry; knowledge of civil litigation procedures.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with the ability to work independently and as a team member, as required.
• Excellent research and writing skills.
• Dedicated and motivated self-starter who takes initiative and works through issues in a thorough manner.
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer