The Associate Dean works with undergraduate and graduate students who major in one of the following departments: Childhood/Early Childhood Education; Educational Leadership; Foundations and Social Advocacy; and Literacy.
The Associate Dean assists the Dean who is the chief academic, fiscal, and administrative officer of the School of Education and the Teacher Education Unit Head for all education programs on the campus.
The Associate Dean is involved extensively with reviewing undergraduate and graduate curricular changes initiated by the departments within the School of Education, planning and shepherding the approved changes through curricular channels.
The Associate Dean also monitors and maintains academic standards, especially as they apply to the evaluation of general education credit, transfer credit, and graduation requirements for undergraduate students. The Associate Dean works closely with students in jeopardy to assist them in meeting their academic responsibilities. This is achieved by holding regular meetings with these at-risk students. On numerous occasions, the Associate Dean meets or talks to students' parents or significant others about the College's educational policies and requirements.
The Associate Dean also supports programs within the Teacher Education Unit in maintaining high standards. This includes assisting in the assessment of all teacher education programs on campus, collecting and analyzing data related to these assessments, and writing reports for the purposes of maintaining national accreditation for the college.
Major Responsibilities and/or Classes to be taught
- Clarify and interpret College policies.
- Review proposed changes to the curriculum.
- Meet with various curriculum committees.
- Support the Dean of Education in the administration of the Teacher Education Unit.
- Chair the Teacher Education Council Review Committee.
- Assist in the collection, analysis, and reporting of assessment data related to teacher education programs.
- Stay current with national and state regulations and standards governing teacher preparation.
- Help students meet General Education and program requirements.
- Inform students of graduation requirements.
- Assist in the review of student transfer credits.
- Assist students having academic difficulties.
- Reinstate students following their academic suspension or dismissal.
- Attend meetings as required.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
Supervise Associate Dean's Secretary/Office Receptionist
- Terminal degree and the ability to be tenurable in one of the College's departments.
- Demonstrated record of excellence in teaching, scholarship and service.
- Demonstrated leadership and administrative experience.
- Experience with and knowledge of issues related to teacher preparation.
- Strong understanding of teacher education accreditation
- Familiarity with student services and computerized student information systems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well with students, faculty and staff.
- Terminal degree and the ability to be tenurable in one of the School's academic departments (Childhood/Early Childhood Education; Educational Leadership; Foundations and Social Advocacy; Literacy).
- Experience with administration and assessment of teacher education programs.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Application Types Accepted
FACULTY POSITIONS ONLY - How many recommendation letters will be required by the applicant?