Salem State University is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Under the direction of the Director/Chief of Police assists in the overall leadership and direction of the police department and provides input on best practices and procedures. The Captain exercises powers and duties conferred by state law pursuant to (M.G.L. Ch. 22C Sec. 63 & Ch. 15A Sec. 22) upon the officers assigned to the patrol division. The Captain provides day-to-day oversight and leadership of police patrol operations, investigations, administration and support operations activities and/or other activities or projects as directed by the Director/Chief of Police. In the absence of the Director of Public Safety, assumes command of the Department by enforcing City ordinances, State and Federal laws, College rules and regulations, while providing professional and efficient services to the university community and provides for the safety and protection of the lives, rights and property of those persons within the Salem State University community. Serves as the department's Accreditation Manager. Serves as a lead member of the University Emergency Preparedness Team.
1. Thorough knowledge of law enforcement operations and procedures, police adminstration and police management.
2. Ability to interact with University community, external agencies and general public.
3. Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
4. Possess leadership and background suitable to a senior law enforcement officer as evidenced by professional accomplishments, established track record and recognition thereof by professional colleagues.
5. 10-15 years with law enforcement agency with 5 years supervisory/managerial experience, prefer experience in a college/university environment.
6. Bachelor's degree in appropriate discipline required. Master's degree preferred or other senior law enforcement executive development (FBINA etc.) preferred.
7. Successful completion of the Police Academy of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or other certified law enforcement academy with ability to become appointed/certified within the Commonwealth.
8. Knowledge, understanding and experience in labor relations and employee discipline matters.
9. Knowledge, understanding and experience in the principles of budget development and administration.
10. Training and experience with NIMS/ICS/NRP
11. Knowledge, understanding and experience in Internal Affairs Investigations.
12. Experience dealing with unions and collective bargaining.
13. Knowledge, understanding and experience dealing with the development and review of professional law enforcement policy and procedures.
14. Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, possess and maintain a valid driver's license and not have a significant history of motor vehicle violations.
15. Ability to obtain Special State Police powers under M.G.L. 22C Sec. 63 at hire and retain these powers as a condition of continued employment.
16. Obtain appropriate Massachusetts License to Carry (LTC) for department approved weapons. Must maintain LTC as a condition of continued employment.
17. Ability to pass an approved firearms training course/certification to be issued and carry an department issued firearm. Must re-qualify periodically as a condition of continued employment.
18. Must successfully complete a physical examination (including drug screening), physical agility test, psychological screening and background investigation. Must maintain minimum entrance standards associated with aforementioned examinations and screenings as a condition of continued employment
1. Master's Degree in Criminal Justice, Management or a related field.
2. Attendance and completion of a senior law enforcement executive development program such as the FBI-NA.
3. Experience in a college, university or educational setting.
4. Police/law enforcement command experience at the rank of Lieutenant or above.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Position open until filled with initial screening of applicants anticipated by April 29, 2013.
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background check satisfactory to the University. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
- 2 years ago - save job