ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: |
Primarily responsible for the policy and research work of our dynamic advocacy
covering a diverse range of issues—including money in politics, redistricting reform, voting rights and election administration, government ethics and conflicts of interest, and campaign finance; conduct outreach to relevant stakeholders; attend coalition meetings and participate in conference calls; help to drive the agenda and policy messages of Common Cause/NY at the city, state and national level; develop and deliver testimony before various government bodies; represent the organization in the press; and oversee junior staff and supervise interns.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Policy research and analysis : Develop policy positions and possible legislation. Assist in developing and executing lobbying strategies to generate pressure on federal, state, and local elected officials and other decision-makers. Produce timely and high quality research. Political advocacy and outreach : Assist in maintaining communications with members through newsletters, emails, social media, and website. Represent Common Cause to coalition partners and the greater community. Coordinate our activities in the various coalitions in which we participate or lead. Fundraising and development : Assist the Executive Director with writing major donor cultivation letters and appeals. Assist the Executive Director with planning, organizing, and implementing the Annual Awards Dinner. Serve as the point person for grant funded projects and assist in drafting grant proposals as well as reporting back to funders to ensure the timely completion of projects.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate will have nonprofit experience with the following skills and abilities:
· Demonstrated organizing, political, or government experience
· Familiarity with New York state and local politics and government
· Administrative and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities and accomplish a broad range of tasks
· Flexible, detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with multiple competing priorities
· Self-starter who works well with people
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and advocacy writing, including media
· Strong commitment to social justice and reform issues
· Demonstrated leadership ability
· Fundraising experience a major plus
· Working knowledge of social media tools, i.e., Facebook,Twitter and Instagram
Common Cause - 10 months ago