The purpose of this position is to manage the development and support of Nutrition and Health Education Department programs that align with school and community needs, including program planning, implementation and support, budget management, and providing guidance to staff teams. This position will also be responsible for spearheading initiatives to support expansion of nutrition and health education efforts, such as school-based pantries, gardens and farming efforts.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage recruitment and day-to-day operations of school- and community-based programs, budget development and implementation, and adherence to program goals and deliverables.
- Manage and develop program planning and vision in conjunction with Program Managers and the Director of NHE.
- Collaborate with the fundraising team to identify and secure funding sources to support existing and potential projects.
- Support administrative components for the department, including collaborating with the Finance Office and ensuring timely submission of relevant reports to satisfy public and private sector funding.
- Oversee the expansion of school-based gardening and farming efforts, including the recruitment and training of schools and school personnel.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with school staff, administration and collaborative partners to create, strengthen and expand partnerships with Food Bank nutrition education programming;
- Oversee the review and evaluation, and subsequent revision/formalization, of farm-based lessons and materials.
- Manage working relationships between Program Managers and the Research & Evaluation Department to implement process and outcome evaluation methods intended to track program success, compliance and impact.
- Supervise and provide guidance to professional staff and consultants, aiming to foster a collaborative and creative work environment.
- Serve as spokesperson/liaison to a variety of audiences including presenting at conferences, media events and community meetings.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Responsible for staff/intern training and supervision.
Working within a fast-paced environment, this position requires an individual with a keen interest school- and community-based nutrition and health education services reaching children, teens and adults. A solid understanding of and experience in nutrition and/or health education programming, and experience working and communicating with a variety of audiences required.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred – or relevant experience) in public health/policy, organizing or related field, and three to five years experience with program development and oversight required.
- Experience conducting garden and/or farming workshops preferred.
- Self-starter with proven management skills and the ability to work independently, coordinate projects, trouble-shoot and provide leadership.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience in public speaking and group facilitation.
- Must be able to establish priorities and a course of action for handling multiple tasks.
- Interest and familiarity with food poverty and nutrition policy a plus.
- Proficiency in all MS office applications required. Experience with InDesign or other publishing software a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus.
- 2 years ago - save job