Reporting to the Vice President, Team Sponsorship Development in the Team Marketing & Business Operations (TMBO) department, this individual will serve as a sponsorship consultant for NBA and WNBA teams to help them maximize sponsorship revenue. They will mentor and coach NBA and WNBA teams to maximize their sponsorship revenue, identify sponsorship business opportunities and actively share sponsorship best practices. In addition, this position will be responsible for developing new inventory opportunities and game-changing sponsorship platforms to drive new business.
• Mentor NBA and WNBA markets to coach them on prospecting techniques and sales best practices. Will include market visits to analyze sponsorship sales practices, including attendance at prospective buyer meetings to coach team sponsorship representatives into sales stars
• Support team sponsorship sales and activation efforts in identified markets with required support. Responsibilities to vary by market needs, but may include leading a sales staff, recruiting and developing sales talent, and managing sponsorship budgets, etc.
• Oversee content and development of annual Sponsorship Sales Academy, a workshop targeted at NBA/WNBA/D-League sponsorship sales staff.
• Lead management of team sponsorship resources and communications with focus on identifying and sharing sales and activation best practices (e.g. monthly NBA team executive sponsorship calls, monthly trends newsletter)
• Develop and deliver sponsorship-focused content during TMBO annual Sales and Marketing Meetings and Sponsorship Workshop.
• Manage internal team whose primary responsibility is to identify and develop best practice content and training opportunities for teams (e.g. case studies, white papers, topical webinars, in-market tools for team Account Managers)
• Assist NBA / WNBA team executives with recruiting efforts. Includes active networking across the sponsorship industry to uncover rising stars to recruit them into the NBA and WNBA family
• Provide executive oversight of Team Promotional Proposal (TPP) process, serving as escalation point for review process that ensures team activation alignment with NBA/WNBA marketing guidelines.
• Serve as internal liaison for team initiatives with Global Marketing Partnerships and Global Merchandising Group
• Complete understanding of sponsorship sales and activation process
• Strong leadership, communication, organization and interpersonal skills
• Exceptional writing and editing skills. Ability to translate learnings into process-focused documents
• Strong oral presentation and negotiation skills
• Strong work ethic, self-starter
• Strong computer skill including: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
• 8+ years in a sponsorship sales and/or activation role within the sports or entertainment industry. Property / team experience preferred.
Educational Background Required
• Bachelor’s Degree
The NBA is a global sports and media business built around three professional sports leagues: the National Basketball Association, the...