The successful candidate will be capable of motivating and educating a staff made up of peer and professional tutors, will engage faculty in pedagogical discussions about writing, and will have experience working with a diverse population of students.
The Associate Director’s duties will include but not be limited:
- Working with the Director to consult with faculty and develop writing across the curriculum initiatives.
- Planning and leading events such as writing workshops for students and faculty.
- Staying current with innovations in the field.
- Assisting the Director with recruiting, educating, and managing student aides and peer and professional writing consultants.
- Managing the schedule, budget, grants, and conducting program/department assessment.
Specific competencies sought as related to the position:
Learning Enrichment/Higher Education
- Appreciate and respect the impact of varying racial, ethnic, religious and social groups and divergent opinions and attitudes in one-to-one tutoring sessions, outreach to students, and outreach to faculty and staff.
- Demonstrate an awareness of linguistic differences and how they influence the teaching of writing.
- Model how to work effectively with non-native speakers of English and students who come from multi-lingual backgrounds.
- Understand multi-literacies and issues in cross-cultural communication.
- Engages in scholarly conversations on writing, learning, and linguistics/language through conference presentations and/or publications.
- Exhibit a commitment t professional service, support, and assistance to students, faculty, and the campus community.
- Demonstrates an ability to engage faculty from other disciplines n cross-curricular discussions about writing.
- Work effectively with faculty on student learning issues such as English Language Learners, assessing and responding to student writing, developing effective writing assignments, and critical thinking and writing skills.
Instructional Design/Student Development and Success
- Engage actively in English Studies disciplines through conference attendance/participation, publication, and other professional activities.
- Exhibit a commitment to professional service, support, and assistance to students, faculty, and the campus community.
- Represent the Writing Studio in college-wide conversations about writing, teaching, and learning.
- Model professional behavior that prepares students and peer tutors for entry into their chosen fields.
- Understand the academic development needs of today’s students and counsels, consults, or mentors them to ensure they are successful in meeting their education goals.
- Advocate for student learning needs.
- Assist faculty in developing engaging writing tasks that promote student development and intellectual growth.
The successful candidate should hold an EdD/PhD in Composition, Rhetoric, Linguistics, and/or related field at the time of appointment, at least three years of English/literacy teaching and/or writing center experience; ability to demonstrate a record of involvement in professional organizations/scholarship in the teaching of English preferred. Experience in Writing Center/Writing Program Administration preferred. Experience in TESOL a plus
- Show an awareness of how changing technology influences literacy skills and opportunities for communication.
- Use emerging pedagogical technologies inside and outside the classroom/Writing Studio.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how students communicate and engage them using appropriate methods.
- Use technology to enhance professional productivity.
- Optimize the use of technology to improve service delivery to students, faculty and the campus community.
This is a full-time, tenure-track position beginning July 1, 2013. Salary and appointment rank are based on education level and cumulative experience.
Due to the recent storm, we have decided to hold off reviewing applications until December 3rd, 2012.
Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual’s ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
Fashion Institute of Technology - 7 months ago
The Fashion Institute of Technology is a college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York (SUNY), with...