Having a positive approach to vocation and embracing the broad University mission, and under the direction of the director of alumni relations and advancement, the associate director of alumni and parent relations builds sustaining relationships with alumni and parents through a strategic yet creative array of communications, programming and volunteer opportunities enabling constituent engagement with the university to achieve departmental fundraising objectives.
The proactive creation, initiation, development and implementation of strategic engagement for parents are complimentary and equally strategic foci of this role; accomplishing these new initiatives requires working closely with the director of alumni relations and advancement and the senior director of advancement on the integration of parent programs including philanthropy into the broader advancement strategy.
While overlapping and indeed complimentary, this individual will spend approximately 70 percent of her/his time on alumni relations and 30 percent of her/his on parent engagement.
Assists the director of alumni relations and advancement in running all aspects of HBU’s alumni initiatives, including planning, organizing and evaluating the alumni program.
Builds and sustains relationships with alumni through programs, communications, volunteer opportunities and strategic personal visits.
Engages Student Life department in an ongoing effort to involve students and young alumni with special programming to educate them about alumni traditions, responsibilities and benefits.
Contributes in the development of strategies, coordinates and supervises all alumni events in conjunction with the alumni relations director including, but not limited to, homecoming, class reunions, graduation cookout and alumni networking events.
Assists in creating new social media initiatives and outcomes as portion of the overall engagement of HBU alumni, and oversees current social media via the alumni Facebook and LinkedIn sites ensuring they are relevant, updated and accurate.
Creates and oversees productive volunteer opportunities and recruits alumni participation.
Works creatively and closely with advancement services to maintain and track upto-date information for alumni files.
Coordinates the creation of the alumni e-newsletter, determining the content, overseeing the writing of articles and the layout and ensuring deadlines are met.
Updates and maintains the alumni relations portion of the advancement website.
Oversees the alumni affinity partner programs including, but not limited to, Liberty Mutual Insurance, Bank of America Credit Card and Harris Connect.
Reinvigorates the Heritage Walk and Walk of Honor programs in connection with the broader annual giving strategy.
Assists with, establishes and oversees a parent engagement strategy.
Identifies avenues of engagement for a parent’s such as with S.O.A.R. (new student orientation), homecoming, parent weekend, athletic events, etc.
Ensures parents are engaged via existing or new communications channels.
Creates parent engagement opportunities via the HBU website
Performs other duties as assigned and needed.
Leadership and Team Qualities
Maintaining a department culture of highly motivated, passionate team players remains a clear priority in University Advancement. The following are personal qualities desirable in an ideal candidate:
• Embraces and embodies the broad Christian education mission of HBU as guided by the Ten Pillars
• Maintains a professional demeanor in all contexts as a high-profile internal and external representative of Houston Baptist University
• Exhibits a teachable spirit being open to strategic formal and informal personal growth and assessment of departmental participation and performance
• Possess an internal drive to own and accomplish tasks in areas assigned needing little supervision yet open to keep staff updated on progress
• Manages multiple responsibilities in a high-stress environment
• Preserves a respectful attitude and ability to work with varying personalities across campus
• Possesses a positive, can-do attitude in all areas managed, or assigned
Two to three years of professional work experience in: development or event planning preferred; sales and/or marketing acceptable
Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
Excellent oral and written communication skills are a must
Organized yet flexible
Energetic yet detail-oriented
Strategic and collaborative in problem solving within a complex organization
Personal desire to work face-to-face with primary constituencies
Computer and technology proficiency:
a. MS office products: Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint a must;
b. Social media related environments including: Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
c. knowledge of Banner and/or willingness to learn Banner
Initiates and has ability to work independently.
1. Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work. This may involve some lifting, carrying, moving, pushing and/or pulling of objects/materials of light weight (15-20 pounds).
2. Works occasional irregular hours, including some nights and weekends.
3. Local and regional travel is expected.
4. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.