Imagine what you could do here. Every day is a new challenge, and you are continually looking for ways to help our team get better at what we do, in the most efficient way possible. A team player at heart, you collaborate with our departments, advocate best practices and roll up your sleeves to pitch in when it is all hands on deck. You move fast while keeping your attention to detail, and you tap into your problem-solving skills to support the company objectives.
The Associate Director of Instructional Design & Academic Quality (ADIDAQ) is a full-time position. The ADIDAQ is an expert in instructional and media design with knowledge of adult learning theory and course development planning and process management. The ADIDAQ provides leadership and vision for innovation in online learning and effectively motivates the instructional design and quality assurance teams to collaborate on creating innovative, high and quality student learning experiences. This individual will have experience designing for multiple-perspectives with an emphasis in meeting the needs of diverse adult learners and will help develop and document a strategic plan for the instructional design and course creation process that promotes innovation, integrates quality, is media rich, and accommodates large scale development.
Essential Job Duties:
• Exemplifies transformational leadership characteristics and with the Director, motivates and inspires the Instructional Design team towards engaging and effective instruction steeped in quality and best practices.
• Creates the strategic plan for curriculum and course development under the direction of the Director, including the development of standards, tools, and processes for increased quality and efficiency.
• Ensures strong alignment of learning outcomes among course design, assessment, and learning activities promoting greater content mastery by students.
• Articulates the culture of student engagement that will drive instructional design for all modalities (local campus, instructional site, online web-based, and mobile)
• Manages the prioritization of curriculum initiatives and course development activities as they relate to instructional design and quality assurance.
• Ensures the development and integration of interactive multi-media learning solutions in all courses.
• Extends leadership and support under the direction of the Director to the greater curriculum and course development teams.
• Effectively communicates and collaborates with academic leadership, faculty and curriculum staff to develop and document the academic standards, policies and processes by which the curriculum team develops instruction.
• Supports and manages the quality review of all online courses to ensure that academic standards, policies, and processes are met.
• Manages the communication of recommendations for course design by Deans, Faculty, and curriculum team.
• Oversees, under the direction of the Director, the development and maintenance of all course guides and learning management shells
• Manages workflow and troubleshoots situations that can arise related to technology systems and course maintenance.
• Works with the Deans, faculty and designated team members on new program development
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
• Remains current on best practices in online instructional design through the consumption of current research studies, attendance at educational conferences, and other professional development opportunities.
• Assists in the production of reports for reporting progress to the academic leadership.
• Identifies universal design principles for the mobile environment
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
• Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
• Leading People: This competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values.
• Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals.
• Building Communication: This leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization.
• Driving Results: This competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results.
• Master’s Degree in instructional design, instructional technology, instructional media design or a related field
• A minimum of five years of demonstrated experience developing courses (i.e., instructional designer, instructional technologist, instructional writer)
• Working knowledge or experience in instructional design, instructional design and adult learning theory, development and delivery of instruction
• The ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both verbally and in writing.
• The ability to think critically in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment
• Collaborates well and develops strong professional working relationships
• Demonstrated leadership in instructional design, instructional technology, curriculum development, or related field
• Demonstrate a high level of emotional intelligence and collegiality
• Strong project management experience
• Two or more years of supervisory experience
• Two or more years working with graduate level faculty
• Experience implementing large scale instructional design projects in higher education
• Knowledge of Quality Matters™ and accreditation standards
• Two or more years experience teaching, preferably at the college or university level
• Knowledge of universal design standards
• Experience developing interactive instruction using current technology/software tools
• Experience as a teacher, trainer, and/or professional development instructor for adult learners
• Master’s Degree in instructional design, instructional technology, educational psychology, new media design or a related field. Doctoral degree preferred.
: This opportunity of employment will require
a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a
criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification
of education credentials, verification of prior employment history, professional
reference checks and public social media postings; with review prior to an
offer of employment being extended. As an employer, we participate in E-Verify.
To learn more please visit
Physical Demands: While performing
the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms
and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer
keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is
frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to
interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities
required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust
Communication Skills: While performing Duties
of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions,
correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective
and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in
one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing
duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated
with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee
will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work
situations, grasp and apply new ideas,
communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to
apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing
duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment,
and the noise level is usually moderate to loud.
University of the Rockies provides high-quality, accessible learning opportunities globally for diverse groups of individuals seeking...