NCAA Job Description
POSITION : Associate Director of Internal Audit.
BASIC FUNCTION : This position is responsible for managing the NCAA internal audit function. The position will design, maintain and gain necessary approval of an overall risk assessment and annual risk based internal audit plan. This position will direct and coordinate assurance and consulting activities designed to improve NCAA’s risk management, control and governance processes.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Develop and manage a risk assessment process, in conjunction with NCAA management and with approval from the Finance and Audit Committee, to govern internal audit activities.
Develop, in conjunction with NCAA management, an annual internal audit plan for approval by the NCAA’s Audit Management Team and Finance and Audit Committee.
Manage and perform assurance engagements designed to ensure NCAA and/or third party practices are in compliance with company policy, regulations, industry standards and/or contractual requirements.
Manage and perform consultative engagements designed to identify cost saving, control and process improvements to assist the NCAA in meeting its overall objectives.
Prepare and present to NCAA department heads, senior management, third parties and/or audit committee effective reports and other documents which detail internal audit procedures performed and audit findings.
Work with department heads to assure proper documentation of processes, internal controls and follow through on audit finding action plans.
Participate in various committees or task forces designed to improve company governance, risk management, control processes, or other business improvement objectives.
Unless otherwise dictated by risk assessment, perform regular audits of material financial business relationships including:
Division I Men’s and Women’s Basketball hosts
Vendors with revenue sharing contractual terms (e.g. licensees)
Other key vendors or business partners
Unless otherwise dictated by risk assessment, perform reviews of all critical accounting internal controls on a regular basis. Identify control gaps and report findings to accounting management. Assist management in identifying strong preventative and detective control processes.
Provide support to membership and their auditors related to athletics financial reporting and agreed upon procedures.
Provide support to external auditors and/or consultants on annual financial statement audit and other accounting projects/reviews.
Conduct special projects or investigations as necessary.
When applicable, effectively manage third party service providers providing internal audit related services.
When applicable, supervise, train and guide staff (currently one summer intern) in a manner consistent with internal audit standards and NCAA policy.
Assist in administration of the company’s whistleblower policy and anonymous reporting line.
Preferred Qualifications and Minimum Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or a related field. A CPA or CIA certification is required.
- A minimum of seven years or related experience with concentration in risk management/internal audit including a minimum of three years preferred experience working for a public accounting firm, publicly-listed company or in higher education.
- Strong initiative and leadership skills while possessing an ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- A strong understanding of risk assessment including proven ability in reporting, compliance, regulatory and other requirements.
- A strong understanding of internal control frameworks, including COSO.
- A strong understanding of Internal Audit standards, as defined by Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Proven ability to work across an organization and build relationships with internal and external constituents
- Outstanding listening, writing and communication skills with an ability to communicate with all levels of an organization.
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive or confidential materials and projects.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, excellent organizational skills, dynamic, and highly proficient in Microsoft programs (excel, word, PowerPoint, access) and other computer aided audit tools.
- Ability to understand third party contracts and performing contractual based audits.