Engage as many members of the PLNU community as is possible in mission experiences in México and in Spanish speaking ministries in the Southwest U.S.A.
- Plan for a strategic and varied complement of ministry opportunities for PLNU students in México and/or the Southwest U.S.A. including day, weekend, and 1-3 week trips.
- Assure and promote International Ministries’ mission philosophy, including host invitation/respect for host leadership, intentionally trained team leadership, student training/debriefing, and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Maintain and foster ministry partnerships with Church of the Nazarene leaders in México and Spanish speaking Nazarene congregations in the Southwest U.S.A. as well as other ministry and nonprofit leaders.
- When possible, invite and supervise international and local church youth participation in mission projects together with PLNU students.
- Recruit and guide student leaders to plan ministry in collaboration with hosts, promote opportunities to students, and manage all necessary logistics.
- Recruit, train, and schedule staff, faculty, and alumni sponsors to travel with students when necessary.
- Continuously evaluate issues related to the safety of programs and make prudent decisions with regard to safety in consultation with the Director of International Ministries and VP of Spiritual Development.
- Develop and conduct regular program assessment. Report findings and make regular improvements to ministry projects based on assessment.
- Plan educational border events or tours, when possible in collaboration with PLNU faculty or other departments/centers.
- Resource faculty who seek assistance arranging student internships in México.
- Manage program fees and expenses to ensure fiscal responsibility. Ensure projects operate on budget.
- Supervise International Ministries Assistant in conjunction with the Director of International Ministries.
- Supervise student employees, office interns, ministry leaders, and other volunteers.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Director of International Ministries, including but not limited to: assistance with GradWorks placements, LoveWorks team leadership, and support for other International Ministries programs.
- Support the overall mission of the Office of Spiritual Development, including the chapel program, student spiritual care and Christian formation, local service opportunities, and other collaboration.
- Three years of experience working in cross-cultural ministry, Christian missions, and/or compassionate ministries required. Previous experience working with Nazarene churches and districts preferred.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in religion, educational leadership, or related field; master’s degree preferred.
- Understanding of and strong commitment to the spiritual mission of Point Loma Nazarene University.
- Understanding of the Church of the Nazarene, its theological foundations, organizational structure, and missions history.
- Knowledge of the San Diego/Tijuana border region with special regard to immigration and other pressing social issues.
- Oral and written communication fluency in both Spanish and English.
- Public speaking ability.
- Ability to relate to and understand contemporary university students.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills and ability to work independently and accomplish tasks under deadline stresses.
- Positive, friendly attitude, and the ability to function effectively with colleagues as part of a professional Spiritual Development team.
- Availability for regular travel for site visits and planning meetings.
Physical Demands (if applicable):
- Sitting and standing for periods greater than one hour. Use of computer equipment: computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Vision to read documents, e-mail and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor. Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone. Will also stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 10 lbs throughout the day.
- Ability to travel for national and/or international missions trips.
Varies depending upon the position.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants: