Position: Associate Director of Membership Communications
Primary Functions: This position assists with the daily management of content on NCAA.org, the quarterly production as Managing Editor of NCAA Champion magazine, and assisting as part of a team tracking developments of the NCAA Division I governance process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Serve as Managing Editor of NCAA Champion Magazine by working with department editors to ensure timely development of content, writing feature articles and news briefs, assigning stories and related photography, editing copy and coordinating with design and printing partners.
Assist with coverage of NCAA Division I governance developments, including committee and cabinet meetings, and creating written and multimedia content for NCAA.org and NCAA Champion magazine to communicate important developments to membership, public and employee audiences as needed.
Assist with the development and implementation of membership communications strategy through written and multimedia content.
Provide strategic counsel on communication issues to groups within the national office.
Assist in the development and implementation of the national office’s strategic communication strategy. The strategy uses various audience-specific approaches and platforms to provide clear, consistent and customized advocacy messages about the Association’s functions and issues.
Develop and write long-form written content for NCAA Champion magazine and NCAA.org that advocates for the values of intercollegiate athletics and addresses issues that impact the NCAA membership.
Develop strategic topic-specific messages and communications materials for the assigned national office groups.
Preferred Qualifications and Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, public relations, journalism or related field (required)
- Advance degree in related field (preferred).
- Seven to 10 years of writing and/or editing experience with a newspaper, magazine or website. Experience in a strategic communications environment or membership-focused publication strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to apply editorial skills to create online interactivity (required).
- Demonstrated ability to create long-format written content required.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex issues in clear, concise language is essential.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple tasks under tight deadlines (required)
Communications and national office staff
Members of the public