Associate Director For Online Fundraising [MEMU-19]
AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION
DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT, NY
For more than 93 years, the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLUF) has been at the forefront of virtually every major battle for civil liberties and equal justice in this country. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU has offices in all 50 states, Washington, DC and Puerto Rico, and brings together the countrys largest team of public interest lawyers, lobbyists, communication strategists, members and activists in the advancement of equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society. The New York national headquarters of the American Civil Liberties Union seeks a motivated and experienced direct marketing professional, with a strong background in non-profit fundraising and online marketing for the full-time position of Associate Director for Online Fundraising .
Working as a senior member of the membership marketing team in the Development department, the Associate Director for Online Fundraising will help create and lead implementation of a strategic online fundraising plan responsible for raising over $4 million annually. Responsibilities include the production, execution and analysis of email and web campaigns designed to generate excitement around ACLU programs and substantive work to promote online giving and to convert website and social media audiences to subscribers and donors. The Associate Director for Online Fundraising will work with the Development department, other ACLU departments and consultants, to create campaigns aimed at engaging and expanding the ACLUs online constituency and increasing all aspects of online giving. This position reports to the Deputy Director of Development.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct, supervise and manage the Development Department online marketing staff; manage external online fundraising consultants.
- Develop an email fundraising campaign strategy directed at ACLU members and donors that includes renewals, membership drives, monthly giving promotion and year-end giving.
- Create and direct online initiatives including online advertising, social media and website promotions aimed at increasing donations and building the ACLU constituency.
- Work with ACLU Action team as well as legal, communications and advocacy staff to coordinate and plan consistent and effective outreach, fundraising and membership development.
- Collaborate with the web team to develop creative homepage and website content that promotes giving and deepens engagement in the ACLUs work on a broad range of civil liberties issues.
- Design landing page optimization and testing plans to improve performance and increase income.
- Lead Development efforts to create coordinated online donor cultivation, renewal, and re-solicitation programs and schedules.
- Establish annual website and email income goals. Provide reports for tracking, analysis and budgeting purposes to measure the attainment of goals.
- Research new online fundraising technologies and techniques to increase online giving. Make recommendations to adapt new technologies and techniques as warranted; ensure approved changes are delivered timely and effectively.
- Develop the annual budget for online fundraising programs, monitor costs and provide updates as requested.
- Create reports to analyze and track all aspects of the ACLUs online efforts.
- Select and manage vendors, as needed, for online marketing and outreach efforts.
- Write/edit key copy for campaign pages.
- Assist in affiliate email marketing efforts as needed, provide guidance on fundraising strategies and other email communications.
- Oversee email set-up and assist with email production as needed.
- Other projects as assigned.
- A Bachelors degree is required.
- At least five years experience with online marketing, direct mail and cross-channel marketing in for-profit or non-profit settings is highly desirable. Experience mobilizing and engaging interest communities in a wide range of multi-channel activities, online and off.
- Solid understanding of Internet tools, processes and techniques for fundraising, donor development, advocacy campaigns, list building and social networking.
- Proven ability to write for an online audience.
- Solid understanding of best practices for website optimization, multivariate testing, search engine marketing and social media advertising.
- Experience with databases, including knowledge of eCRM technology, audience segmentation and data integration.
- Detail oriented with strong follow-through, demonstrated ability to solve problems, ability to meet tight deadlines, multi-task and manage resources effectively.
- Strong leadership and supervisory experience required.
- Ability to negotiate services and pricing with vendors.
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively across departments
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Detail oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a letter of interest (with salary requirements), and resume to hrjobsMEMU@aclu.org - reference [MEMU-19/CHP] in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address. This email address is specific to Membership Department postings. In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Alternatively, materials can be sent via regular mail to:
American Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Please indicate in your letter of interest where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and or posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: HRJobINCLReq@aclu.org . Correspondence sent to this address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name ACLU.
Philanthropy Careers - 16 months ago