The National Education Association (NEA) is America’s oldest and largest organization committed to advancing the cause of public education. Headquartered in Washington, DC, NEA proudly claims more than 3 million members devoted to the following mission: to advocate for education professionals and to unite our members and the nation to fulfill the promise of public education, by preparing every student to succeed in a diverse and interdependent world. Our vision is a great public school for every student. We strive to improve the quality of teaching, to increase student achievement, and to make schools safer and better places to learn.
The Associate Director leads integration in a coordinated programmatic agenda that builds collaborative relationships within the NEA and between NEA and other organizations to strengthen the commitment to public education. The Associate Director reports directly to the Director.
- Applies management, coordination, and program evaluation skills in designing and overseeing the collection and analysis of data from a wide range of sources, including surveys, focus groups, and federal, state, and local agencies.
- Provides leadership and direction in coordinating work with diverse stakeholders within and beyond NEA headquarters, designing and developing data collection and analysis systems, collaborating with external consultants, and displaying and presenting data to support NEA decision-making and effectively advocate the NEA’s position on key education issues.
- Manages financial resources and oversees, empowers, coaches, and mentors staff.
- Maintains extensive contacts with state and headquarters staff, state and national leaders, members, the education research community, and the general public.
- Ph.D. in education or another social science discipline, including advanced graduate studies that provide a solid foundation in research methodology, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be acquired.
- A minimum of seven years NEA, NEA state association or equivalent experience required, with at least one year of management-level experience preferred.
- Proven project management experience overseeing data collection and analysis projects, identifying and defining complex research strategies, and recommending troubleshooting options, preferably in an advocacy environment.
- Extensive experience collecting original data through surveys, focus groups, and other means, compiling data from existing government and non-government databases, and analyzing data using a variety of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies.
- Proven ability to direct, coordinate, coach, mentor, motivate, delegate, and supervise staff effectively through a collaborative approach.
- Extensive leadership and collaboration skills that produce effective results with a vision for dynamic and progressive programs that meet the needs of a changing association.
- Proven expertise in developing and implementing cooperative partnerships with state affiliates and other key organizations.
- Effective skills in supervision, decision-making, oral/written communications, interpersonal relations, team building, and collaboration.
National Education Association (NEA) - 9 months ago