The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation (ACLU) has made an unambiguous and unwavering commitment to the importance of communications as a central and essential element in the success of its mission. The organization places great emphasis on the role of communications in framing the debate on its issues, on its utility in building support, and on its ability to increase the impact of the organization’s work. The Associate Director for Strategic Communications is a member of the team of communications professionals based in the ACLU National Office in New York and the Washington Legislative Office (WLO) in Washington, D.C.
The ideal candidate must have experience designing and managing creative, issue-based campaigns that often include a legislative component and experience promoting an organization’s brand across communications channels. This requires solid expertise in the fundamentals of communications, including media relations, framing and message development, event planning, social media, and digital communications. The position requires superb interpersonal skills, excellent leadership qualities, and solid experience supervising others. The Associate Director of Strategic Communications reports to the Deputy Director of Communications. This is a full-time position based in New York.
The roles and responsibilities of the Associate Director of Strategic Communications position include:
- Devise and execute multi-faceted, issue-based, and branding initiatives in collaboration with a team of communications professionals as well as lobbyists, lawyers, and the ACLU’s affiliate support and advocacy team.
- Serve as an active participant of the Communication Department’s management team.
- Manage the day-to-day work of a team of communication professionals.
- Work with the Director of Communications and the Deputy Director of Communications in developing budgets and program plans on an annual basis.
- Regularly track and evaluate the impact of ACLU communication initiatives.
- Utilize ongoing and develop new relationships with broadcast, electronic, print, and emerging media channels to promote the organization’s work and ensure consistency of message among ACLU spokespeople.
- Back up media relations associates in pitching and placement of news stories; write and edit press releases and other documents aimed at gaining visibility and promoting the ACLU’s agenda.
- Be available in off hours to direct rapid response and crisis communications.
- Work in collaboration with ACLU affiliates around the country to assist with and coordinate messaging and communications strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field or comparable experience required.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the field of communications with demonstrated expertise in the fundamentals of strategic communications, i.e., message development, media relations, digital communications and social media, event planning, and advocacy.
- A minimum of three years of experience supervising others; experience supervising the work of others and working well within a team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Superior interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to synthesize complex information from a variety of sources, including attorneys, scholars, policy makers, and lobbyists, and present it to a lay audience in a compelling manner.
- Experience using public opinion research to frame issues and develop messages.
- Ability to think strategically about promoting the ACLU’s mission and issues, and devise integrated strategies that may incorporate litigation, lobbying, and state-based advocacy.
- Creativity, flexibility, and comfort working in a fast-paced environment that is regularly confronted with unanticipated opportunities to advance the ACLU’s mission.
- Experience working with Congress and the executive branch of government a plus.
- Minimal travel required.
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Koya Consulting - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard