The Associate Director of Undergraduate Admission serves as a member of the senior management team in Undergraduate Admission, helping to provide leadership, strategic direction, oversight, and guidance for the office. This position specifically focuses on the management of all aspects of the campus visit experience and the scholarship awarding process. The Associate Director is responsible for the development and implemention of strategies to recruit, select, and enroll a diverse student body, in order to meet enrollment targets set by the administration of the College.
Other responsibilities include:
- Supervise four full-time staff members.
- Partner closely with other members of the Enrollment Management leadership team.
- Maintain a recruitment territory, conducting recruitment travel and application review.
- Represent the College at recruiting events and within professional organizations.
- Meet and correspond with prospective students and their parents, high school counselors, and others involved in the college admission process.
Primary Duties, Responsibilites, and Tasks
1. Visit Experience Manager (25%)
- Responsible for strategizing and implementing the tour calendar and information session schedule, and assigning “counselor on duty” days to staff. Also oversee the accurate collection of visit data and provide report analysis on visit trends.
- Supervise all staff members directly responsible for visitor center and campus tour daily operations.
- Oversee strategic planning for on-campus outreach. Manage the strategies for building initiatives that include attention to detail, establishing clear and obtainable objectives, and developing measures of success.
2. Staff Management & Partnerships (20%)
- Directly supervise three professional staff members and one temporary Admission Counselor who oversee critical office functions, including the management of the daily visit program, supervision of campus tour guides, management of the admission visitor center, and oversight of the alumni admission volunteer program.
- Partner with members of the Enrollment Management staff for undergraduate admission business needs, including staff in the web technology, web marketing, and data reporting areas.
- Supervise daily work functions of four direct reports, conduct performance reviews, and handle personnel issues of staff.
- Build strong relationships with other leaders of the College, particularly those involved in the recruitment of new students. Represent the Undergraduate Admission Office at campus meetings, in professional organizations, and with high school counselors.
3. Application Review (20%)
- Evaluate applications based on the College’s recruiting goals and standards (this includes both domestic and international applications, and both first-year and transfer applications).
- Serve as second and final reviewer on admission applications.
- Serve as manager/auditor for application review process. Provide training, measure accuracy, and deliver feedback to other counselors regarding their application review skills.
4. Scholarship Coordinator (20%)
- Responsible for the management of all aspects of the scholarship awarding process, including the distribution of academic scholarships and the management of the Honors Program selection process.
5. General Counselor Responsibilities (15%)
- Rotate with other counselors in serving as “Counselor of the Day”, meeting with walk-in visitors, handling phone calls, and giving presentations to guests who will be going on tours. Attend all open houses.
- Correspond regularly with prospective students on multiple platforms.
- Participate in recruitment travel, representing Emerson College at college fairs and high school visits. Host group information sessions, monitor and control costs of recruitment travel, and produce follow-up reports for effectiveness of travel.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
• Experience working in higher education, especially in college admission
• Proven track record in staff management
• Proven track record in student recruitment
Preferred/Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Education (including hardware, software, and equipment)
• Background in communication and the arts are a plus
• Master’s Degree in a related field
Required Prior Work Experience
• 5-7 years of professional work experience in college admission
Founded in 1880, Emerson College (www.emerson.edu) is the only comprehensive college or university in the country dedicated exclusively to...