With minimal supervision, collaborates with licensed school personnel to support the District’s student achievement goals and discipline and behavior policies and assists teachers in accordance with The Standards of Effective Instructional Support for Educational Assistants. Independently implements a variety of student, family, community services and educational programs in support of district cultural diversity goals.
There are currently 2 positions available
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completed 90 quarter or 60 semester college credits, and/or AA degree in the area of Education, Child Development, Child Psychology, Behavioral Sciences; or area related to position assignment.
- Two (2) years experience working in the Minneapolis Schools or comparable educational setting preferred.
- Must be hired as an AVID Tutor at the site
- Comfortable working with a diverse student population
- Comfortable with role as academic coach and under the direction of the classroom teacher
- Ability to collaborate with multiple school staff
- Demonstration of reliability and organization
- Enjoy working with middle and high school students
- Preferred experience as an AVID Tutor
- Able to commit to the necessary monthly trainings
- Ability to effectively meet school, student, and program needs.
- Attend mandatory Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) and Documentation trainings within one year of being hired for the position and maintain a current expiration date on the CPI card by taking Refresher class annually.
- Knowledge of related educational programs and the school community.
- Training and experience in the use of computers and other technology equipment.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with others.
- Ability to act in a leadership role and independently initiate and follow through on tasks under minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrate oral and written communication skills in working with students, families, and community representatives and in collaborating with school personnel.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Assist in student recruitment and publicity of AVID
- Participation on AVID Site Team
- Collaboration with and assist AVID Elective Teacher and school staff
- Assist with organization or special events
- Assist with mandatory data collection and entry
- Attend all necessary professional development
- Meet district standards for performance and attendance
- Post Secondary Education outreach
- Liaison between site tutors and district tutor coordinator
- Academic support for AVID students
- All other duties as assigned
- Implement and maintain school programs and student services in some or all of the following areas: transportation, curriculum development and implementation, computer learning, media/technology assistant to staff and students, extended week or year activities, job training, mentoring colleagues, or other programs.
- Act as a liaison between the students, family, community, and the school.
- Participate in, provide information to, and/or facilitate staff team meetings related to school programs and student services.
- Act as a resource to provide knowledge of services and program objectives to staff, departments, and the community.
- Involved in planning, coordinating, and developing school programs and student services.
- Conduct evaluations and provide information related to program assessment used to measure program effectiveness.
- Use technology skills to organize and deliver school programs and student services.
- Meets District’s standards for employee performance and attendance.
- Participate in staff development/professional growth activities relevant to position, responsibilities and School Improvement Plan (SIP) and Professional Development Plan (PDP).
- Perform related duties as assigned/requested.
- School environment; may involve lifting up to 40 pounds; and the ability to sit, walk, and/or stand for extended periods of time, both indoors and outdoors.
Local 59 ESP $17.94 per hour
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
All applicants, including MPS employees, must complete an on-line application at www.mpls.k12.mn.us (click on employment). In addition, upload an electronic copy of both your cover letter and resume to your application at the time that you apply. Make sure that you apply for the specific position in which you are interested. This position closes at midnight on the closing day. Only complete applications, which include all of the following items, will be considered:
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee.
- Cover Letter
- On-Line Application
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY:
Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
The Minneapolis Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action School District
Minneapolis Public Schools - 14 months ago