Pasadena Water and Power (PWP) has an exciting opportunity for a motivated, detailed oriented Associate Engineer/Engineer (Environmental), with an emphasis on air quality, wastewater and storm water discharge, hazardous materials handling and disposal. The successful candidate will be a vital part of the PWP team and must have great interpersonal and communication skills. |
Reporting to the Power Production Superintendent, the ideal Associate Engineer/Engineer (Environmental) is knowledgeable and experienced with compliance requirements about air quality regulations applicable to power plants and electric utilities, self-driven, analytical and tactful in dealing with regulatory agencies, enjoys challenges and being an integral participant in various areas, such as environmental compliance reporting, audits and compliance strategies; participates in program design, policy development; project management; and intergovernmental relations.
Applications accepted for Engineer (Environmental) and Associate Engineer (Environmental). If interested in both positions, must apply separately for each. Appointment will be made at either level depending on qualifications.
Associate Engineer (Environmental)
- Conducts and monitors the review of departmental operations, documentation, training, and work products ensuring compliance with applicable environmental policies and regulations.
- Develops formal environmental compliance plans in accordance with federal, state and local regulations and participates in developing the department’s environmental compliance program goals, objectives, policies, procedures, schedules and priorities.
- Maintains updated awareness of current developments and trends in the area of environmental protection and regulatory compliance and participates in workshops on rule development.
- Works with managers and staff to obtain necessary environmental regulatory permits and project approvals.
- Performs internal audits for environmental compliance and recommends corrective actions; may contract with and monitor the performance of outside firms in performing these duties.
- Coordinates staff training in environmental compliance in accordance with Department policies and regulatory agency requirements.
- Prepares and presents technical reports and business correspondence.
JOB COMPETENCIES : The following list presents some of the core competencies for this position; see the Class Description for more detailed information:
- Oral Communication – Communicating with people both inside and outside the organization, representing the organization and effectively answering questions with the public, officials, committees, regulatory agencies and internal department contacts.
- Written Communication – Excellent writing skills, particularly complex report preparation, contract documents and agenda reports.
- Knowledge – Knowledge of issues, principles and practices of contemporary environmental engineering and regulatory compliance, particularly as related to air quality, wastewater, storm water and hazardous materials/waste; knowledge of public utility operations and regulatory issues.
- Analyzing Data and Information – Ability to interpret environmental regulations and recommend cost-effective corrective actions and enhancements to public utility operations, read, prepare plans, specifications and designs; analyze engineering problems, evaluate materials, workmanship and construction methods.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS in related area , such as environmental engineering or civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering with coursework in air quality, wastewater, storm water and hazardous materials/waste compliance
- At least two years of recent experience in environmental compliance (Associate Engineer position).
- Experience with public utility operations and regulatory issues is highly desirable.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Class C California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
- FLSA – Exempt
- *Must possess a valid Engineer-in-Training Certificate issued by the State of California.
*Applicable to Associate Engineer Position
City of Pasadena - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard