About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. For more information, visit
Implements Company construction program; coordinates pipeline infrastructure projects; inspects contractor work for safety and quality. As required and under minumal supervision, assists in the planning, design and development of technical standards for gas distribution infrastructure projects.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates installation of gas mains, gas services, and metering equipment for Capital Construction Projects.
- Advises Engineers and Account Executives on the constructability and cost effectiveness of New Business gas facility installations.
- Reviews Contractor invoices and as-built records for accuracy; ensure records submitted match the gas facility installations.
- Monitors and updates the Company Work Management System with required information.
- Suggests field design changes to keep construction projects on schedule and at or below budget.
- Oversees and monitors project from initiation through installation; provides periodic progress reports to Construction Operations and Service Center Management; updates Engineering, Marketing, and Mapping Services departments on relevant field information.
- Maintains construction records in assigned Service Center(s); provides field records to contractors as needed.
- Communicates with external project stakeholders (homeowners, business owners, permitting jurisdictions, etc.) to resolve complaints and/or claims.
- Performs inspections and audits to ensure job safety, contractor work quality, and compliance to Company Construction Manual; enters inspection into Contractor Quality Assurance Program.
- Tests and qualifies welders and fusion technicians to Company and Construction Manual standards; witnesses and certifies contractors hydrostatic pressure tests on High Pressure (HP) mains.
- Provides on-call supervisor support to Service Centers (e.g., after standard hours, on weekends, on a rotational basis).
- Represents the Company at various pre-construction meetings, including but not limited to meetings with DOT, homeowners, developers, local permitting jurisdictions, etc.
Developmental Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collects and evaluates data and develops plans and technical requirements for projects.
- Documents technical specifications and requirements.
- Researches and evaluates operational performance, safety regulation compliance and cost impact of equipment and material utilization for gas systems.
- Prepares or assists in preparing reports, proposals, graphs, planning layouts and summaries designed to communicate project plans, progress or results.
- Identifies and escalates obstacles/issues that put project at risk; seeks technical guidance from more senior staff to resolve.
- Serves as liaison and engineering resource on projects; responds to questions, provide engineering expertise.
- Maintains working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices. Ensure engineering standards, methods and practices are in regulatory compliance.
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in Engineering (Industrial, Mechanical, Civil)
- Up to 2 years of progressive Engineering experience
- Equivalent academic education and experience
- Past Pipeline Inspection or Project Management experience
- Knowledge or past training on pipeline welding
- Project Management
- Ability to communicate with all levels in the organization
- CAD/GIS - basic proficiency
- MS Office - advanced proficiency
- Work Management Information System – intermediate proficiency
- General knowledge of natural gas distribution facilities, Company policies, procedures and gas operating methods and standards
- Technical knowledge of the installation of mains, services, and meter sets
- Knowledge of appropriate records, and documentation processes (i.e., test records, contractor invoicing, and main/service construction contract)
- Prior experience working on the construction of underground utilities
- Valid state driver's license and an excellent driving record
- Certified Pipeline Welding Inspector (CPWI)
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Field based position with frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold, extreme noise,
- atmospheric conditions such as dust, humidity, dampness and occasional exposure to chemicals, fumes and gases and odors
- Required to occasionally lift, carry, pull and push up to 50 lbs
- Occasionally must climb, crawl, bend, squat, kneel, reach and grasp
- Out of town travel - Occasional
- Keyboarding - Frequent
- On-call as needed
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
- 22 months ago - save job
AGL Resources brings its resources to customers in seven states through its fleet of utilities. Its Nicor Gas unit has 2.2 million customers...