Performs responsible legal work involving representation and advisement on legal matters in the Office of General Counsel.
Performs responsible legal work involving representation and advisement on legal matters in the Texas Tech University System Office of the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel.
Work is performed under the administrative direction of the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel or his/her designee.
This position works primarily, but not exclusively, with the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
1. Address legal problems associated with medicine, health sciences centers, and teaching hospitals.
2. Provide legal advice on a variety of issues including, but not limited to, matters concerning the rights, obligations, and privileges of institutions of higher education, employment, healthcare, federal and state regulatory matters, and contracting.
3. Interpret laws, regulations, and internal policies.
4. Review laws affecting operations and administration.
5. Assist the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel or designee in case preparation and other legal duties.
6. Prepare legal opinions, briefs, and other legal instruments.
7. Analyze and solve legal problems.
8. Handle civil rights cases.
9. Draft, review, and advise regarding contracts.
10. Represent the institution in administrative hearings.
11. Work closely and collaboratively with the Office of the Attorney General of Texas in matters related to litigation.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
May supervise clerical staff and student assistants.
Graduate of an ABA accredited law school; three years experience as an attorney. License to Practice Law in the State of Texas.
This position will be classified as Security Sensitive and require a criminal background check if selected for employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Graduate of an ABA accredited law school. Three years of experience as an attorney. Litigation experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
License to practice law in the State of Texas.
Read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints. Draft agreements, briefs and other written documents using accepted techniques or style.
Make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, groups, and in the courtroom, where necessary. Express comments and opinions clearly and logically.
Apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Deal with complex legal issues in the most difficult phases. Deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables. Conceptualize and prioritize objectives, and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities. Exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University System
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide the following with your online application:
• Cover Letter
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, hear and speak.
Hourly Pay Range
28.85 - 48.08
Monthly Pay Range
5000.00 - 7166.67
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.