This position is responsible for assisting with the planning, scheduling and developing of short and long-term electric and gas load forecasts using proven and verifiable methodologies. This position helps identify sources of pertinent data, collects information and analyzes it to support forecasts, provide variance explanations and make recommendations required for Northeast Utilities’ (NU) financial planning, regulatory and facility siting applications.
- Assists with the development of load forecasts using econometric, time series and other proven methodologies. Establishes and maintains databases required for economic analyses, as well as mathematical and econometric computer models. Recommends appropriate model structures and assumptions.
- Helps identify sources of appropriate economic/demographic, load research and end-use data at highly disaggregate levels, and designs computer programs and studies to collect and analyze pertinent information in support of load forecasting activities.
- Assists with preparation of forecasts for electric and gas sales, electric output, electric peaks and hourly loads, and demographic and economic trends to support corporate short and long-term planning functions required for financial planning, rate cases and facility siting applications.
- Analyzes and compares forecast performance with actual results, explains variances and suggests changes for future forecasting cycles.
- Responds to information requests from regulatory bodies and NU departments regarding load forecast information, estimates and projections.
- Researches industry processes and trends, and develops recommendations in assessing the impact of changes usage patterns and the external environment on the future demand for gas and electricity. Develops appropriate documentation.
- Works with the manager in meeting the load forecasting needs of various stakeholders who use forecasts to carry out critical aspects of their work.
Technical Knowledge/Skill: Requires knowledge of statistical or econometric modeling skills, along with good oral and written communication skills. Also requires computer-modeling skills and knowledge in using a statistical or forecasting software program.
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, Business Science, related discipline or equivalent experience. Advanced degree in related discipline preferred.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years related experience.
Northeast Utilities is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, sex, color, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor