AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott. AbbVie combines the focus and passion of a leading-edge biotech with the expertise and capabilities of a long-established pharmaceutical leader to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world’s most complex and serious diseases. In 2013, AbbVie will employ approximately 21,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
Primary Function / Primary Goals / Objectives:
The Associate Manager, Purchasing economically and efficiently purchases goods and services commensurate with Corporate and PPD policies and objectives, while adhering to a strict standard of business ethics and integrity. Provides high levels of customer satisfaction. Manages suppliers effectively. Negotiates, develops and implements agreements that maximize value and support PPD initiatives. Investigates, evaluates and implements new technology and ideas that position PPD as Best Practice Performer with industry leaders. Standardizes materials, services and suppliers. The Associate Manager, Purchasing works on the definition and resolution of known or anticipated problems in value, quality, feasibility, and specifications in the procurement of goods and services while contributing cost savings and other value added activity to support customer needs and expectations.
Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system by Knowledge and Skills
Project / Process Management
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the purchasing process (e.g., corporate purchasing policies and procedures, P3 database, Mercury, Accounting basics, preferred suppliers, sourcing strategies).
- Demonstrates knowledge of external guidelines (e.g., FDA, AMA, PhRMA) to ensure compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of internal/AbbVie guidelines.
- Utilizes creative functional knowledge to facilitate project development.
- Demonstrates critical, creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates clear and concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize and multitask to enhance productivity and manage workload.
- Initiates, develops, and implements Growth Plan to further develop in current position and prepare for future opportunities.
- Exhibits strong negotiation skills.
- Possesses ability to work within team environment.
- Adheres to AbbVie corporate, divisional and departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), including but not limited to: supplier networks, negotiated pricing and defined practices.
- Ensures compliance with AbbVie Corporate Policies and Procedures.
- Responsible for sourcing, contracting and purchasing the major and/or critical items used by PPD’s Marketing Team.
- Identifies, develops, and implements improved and standardized buying practices to ensure adequacy of supply chain. Educates requisitioners on the same.
- Identifies, develops and implements new systems that aid in the identification and collection of usage, prices and suppliers, etc.
- Optimizes internal/ external resources and utilizes relationship to expedite and refine the process to exceed the client’s needs. Leverages cross functional resources to provide excellent solutions.
- Effectively develops and negotiates contracts to optimize project results.
- Administers confidentiality agreements.
- Seeks and establishes strategic leveraging opportunities.
- Leads in developing sourcing strategies.
- Develops and maintains necessary files and records to maximize performance in completing job functions.
- Performs on-going analysis and cost reductions to ensure the lowest overall cost and highest possible value for dollars spent.
- Monitors and tracks qualitative and quantitative databases (e.g., financial database, Agency Access database, metrics, e-caps, P3, Mercury) to ensure accurate recording of project progress and effectiveness.
- Evaluates internal/ external suppliers (e.g., internal and external agency audits, printer invoicing, P3 reporting, event preferred suppliers, supplier surveys) as appropriate.
- Develops and maintains a supply base that ensures the best value for quality, delivery, pricing, service etc.
- Provides detailed evaluations of internal and industry benchmarks (e.g., economic trends and market indices) to enhance current process results. Proactively identifies opportunities for process or cost improvements and takes the appropriate actions to implement. Anticipates changing environment and provides recommendations on how to maximize AbbVie’s opportunities
Accountability / Scope:
- Supports PPD Marketing Team in all aspects of pricing, sourcing and negotiating.
- Acts as an interface for suppliers.
- Seeks, develops and establishes business relationships with diverse suppliers.
- Seeks, develops, and establishes business relationships with Corporate Preferred Suppliers.
- Encourages and develops positive relationships between PPD and key internal clients and strategic suppliers.
- Provides leadership to ensure continuous improvement in supplier/AbbVie interface.
- Demonstrates leadership in conflict resolution to facilitate effective outcomes.
- Maintains ongoing communication with clients/ suppliers to ensure that project timelines, budget deliverables and project changes are aligned with expectations and business needs.
- Proactively provides expertise and process training to internal and external clients.
- Reports to Manager, PPD Purchasing. Performs the tasks set forth above with little or no immediate supervision, which may include difficult/complex decision-making responsibility.
- Works closely with all employees at levels up to and including department heads and officers in a technical and/or specialist role.
- Interfaces with PPD and Corporate organizations (e.g., Legal, OEC, Finance, Corporate Purchasing, Risk Management, etc.)
- Accountable for spend exceeding $50 million annually. Expenditures for individual contracts often exceed one million dollars.
- Responsible for locating and contracting for the necessary services needed to support the PPD Marketing organization, including the assurance of service quality and delivery to meet or exceed divisional goals.
- The Associate Manager, Purchasing is expected to seek innovative ways to maintain and strive for continuous improvement of procurement processes, cycle times, total acqusition costs and customer service levels. The value realized by the position can significantly impact the Division’s profit levels.
- This position is well positioned to improve procurement processes that will increase value and profitability for the PPD Division.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in Business or Marketing strongly preferred.
- Masters Degree: Preferred
- C.P.M. Desirable.
Knowledge of applicable regulations and standards affecting Pharmaceutical Products (e.g. CFR 210/211, cGMP) specifically,
Significant Work Activities and Conditions
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Purchasing.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in Project Management.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in conducting negotiations.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in Contract Administration.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in Financial Analysis.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in Quality Systems & Documentation.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in Regulatory Issues Compliance.
- Minimum of 4 years experience in Commercial Law.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in Strategy Development.
- Minimum of 2 years of technical experience in Marketing/Sales Operations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Possesses ability to learn and utilize other software tools as necessary.
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods ( more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
AbbVie - 17 months ago