Associate Product Manager – Milady Professional - is accountable for the performance of their portfolio as it pertains to Milady Education Network (www.MiladyEdNet.com). The Associate Product Manager, in collaboration with the Product Team Manager and/or Product Director, execute on the strategic vision and plans for their portfolio, from the conceptualization and financial plan to the delivery of highly valuable products for that portfolio. This role is perfect for any detail-oriented, self-starter with project management success who is looking for an entry level position in product management to develop into a larger product management role.
Associate Product Managers are responsible for maximizing the value of their product lines and are accountable for the overall performance of their portfolio. They are responsible for a discipline/product cluster P&L and for leading an aligned product team to meet or exceed business targets. They manage authors, content development, production, manufacturing, marketing, and sales staff to ensure successful launch and positioning of the product line to the marketplace.
Through market analysis, they develop the product strategy for a defined portfolio, identifying growth opportunities, performing segmentation, and determining business objectives. Associate Product Managers are expected to be the market expert in their assigned product line, the competitive landscape, and how the product line can evolve to fully meet the needs of end users.
- Responsible for collaborating with product team to act on overall strategic vision and plan for products and the entire portfolio in order to achieve or exceed strategic goals for market share, top-line, and profit growth. Requires a minimum level of supervision to accomplish goals.
- Identify Cengage owned content for potential repurposing for Milady Education Network – both saleable and non-saleable.
- Scan market for relevant talent and potential new content acquisition for appropriate for professional market.
- Manage a profitable P&L and develop a strategic business plan for assigned portfolio. Must be objective and willing to make hard choices regarding investment prioritization for the good of the overall organization.
- Understand, analyze, identify, define, and size market segments and sub-segments associated with the assigned portfolio.
- Understand essential aspects of learning design with emphasis on digital learning solutions that address customer workflow and learning challenges. Ability to bring winning customer driven solutions to market in an effective and efficient manner that integrate associated dimensions.
- Bring customer-focused solutions that have strong value propositions, meet demonstrated market needs, and provide unique competitive advantage.
- Anticipate discipline and industry trends, with a focus on digital learning solutions grounded in a market knowledge gained through data-driven market research.
- Manage product lifecycle of multiple products simultaneously within scope and budget.
Provide thought leadership on pricing, business model strategies, and setting business goals.
- Initiate, advocate, and negotiate profitable products and services for new or strategically expanded course offerings, alternative markets and channels, strategic partnerships, all in response to new teaching/learning and business models. Delivers arrangements that are both equitable and profitable for the company and partners and that add measurable value to the company’s offerings.
- Fully understand and track all product activity that affects assigned portfolio, including any product launches/enhancements and competitor movement. Develop a keen understanding of all competitors; develop an ability to anticipate competitor activity as it pertains to product medium or subject area.
- Identify and test product ideas within segments, including the administration of focus groups, advisory boards, reviews, customer meetings and sensing as appropriate.
- Regularly analyze product and portfolio plans to align forecasting and measurement of progress towards goals; provide business case for investment decisions. Suggest and monitor production budgets and schedules.
- Work closely with colleagues in other functional areas (Development, Production, Marketing, Sales, Technology, etc.) to convey the strategic vision for the discipline/product cluster, provides candid feedback that supports the vision and execution and which leads to goal achievement.
- Particpate in appropriate Development and Marketing activities.
- Consult with colleagues in manufacturing, inventory, and customer service to assist in reaching customer service goals.
- 3+ years relevant and successful product management, marketing, sales, or development experience.
- BA or BS.
- Excellence at developing and articulating vision and strategy that meet business goals; strong presentation and communication skills. Demonstrated strategic agility. Proven record with strategy creation and execution.
- Drive for Results. “Can-do” attitude and persistence. Proven track record of success.
- Possesses an understanding of digital functionality and how content is best utilized to communicate information, etc.; can “speak digital” as well as print.
- Customer-focused; has a track record of creating successful products by determining customer needs and challenges and translating those to product and value story for the market .
- Interpersonal Savvy. Outstanding communication skills along with the capacity to work within corporate and entrepreneurial environments.
- Creativity. Ability to champion and execute market-oriented new and innovative approaches, ideas, methods, processes, products and services.
- Strong negotiation and influence skills.
- Possess deep understanding of financial and business metrics, including P&L statements, conversion rates, sell-through, market share, attrition, gross margin, customer satisfaction, and retention rates.
- Possess the same understanding of digital metrics including attach rates, digital penetration, and enrollment statistics.
- Have the desire and ability to put company needs ahead of personal goals.
- Must have ability to travel as much as 50% during the selling seasons
- Proficient with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Passion for Education and specifically for digital learning products.
MBA or other advanced degree in discipline or primary skills like project management.
Experience bringing content-based learning solutions to market.
Experience with agile development processes and recurring release cycles.
Cengage Learning is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Cengage Learning - 13 months ago
Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library...