The Associate Product Manager will support the Product Management team in executing the product management deliverables required during the development of the product, from early evaluation to product release. The APM will work with multiple internal and external groups such as engineering, program management, regulatory, quality and operations to define and execute product development projects. Interfacing with key customer stakeholders (external & internal), the APM will ensure that customer expectations will be met with designs in progress.
1) Market analysis, Strategic planning and portfolio management
- Gathers market intelligence and analyzes data to support business cases.
- Supports the effort of the annual 3-year strategic roadmap; provides supporting documentation for the plan including business plans.
- Remains informed about competitive products.
- Helps in developing and refining product positioning, price Strategy and Competitive Pricing/Share Analysis.
2) Voice of the customer, voice of the business
- Supports in the management of Clinical Advisory Board and Design Advisory Board Members. This includes coordinating meetings as required to support development process, whether in person or by teleconference.
- Attends clinical meetings and trade shows.
3) New Product development / Introduction (Upstream Marketing)
- Generates Customer Requirement Specifications for products in alignment with the product vision and with the requirements of MAKOs Product Development process.
- Participates in stage gate process for product.
- Actively participates in product development programs and meets on a regular basis with the project team leader to support the overall efforts of releasing and launching products in a timely manner.
- Attends cadaver labs and supports the coordination of getting key surgeons to attend cadaver labs and/or clinical testing of new products as part of design validation process.
- Ensures deliverables of Product Management are performed within Quality System and in compliance with MAKOs Business Conduct policy.
- Assists the technical writer in user guide/surgical technique updates for new products and releases.
- Works with the training team to prepare proper training materials for new products/applications.
- Bachelor degree in Marketing or Science/Engineering Related Discipline
- 1+ year of technical or marketing experience in medical device industry or 3+ years in product development as an engineer or program manager.
- Works under close to moderate supervision with minimal latitude for independent judgment.
- Proven ability to communicate.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, manage and execute on several projects simultaneously.
- Proficient in multiple computer based tools (MS Word, Excel, Publishing, Acrobat etc.).
- Must maintain necessary credentials and requirements to attend cadaver labs and/or surgical cases.
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- 3 years of technical or marketing experience in arthroscopy, sport medicine, or orthopedic surgery with a background in orthopedic implants preferred. Combination of education and experience is acceptable.
- Strong analytic knowledge and experience.
- Proven ability to determine and communicate effective product positioning and key marketing strategies preferred.
- Experience launching an orthopedic product.
MAKO Surgical Corp. - 18 months ago