California Institute of Technology
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Caltech/MIT Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) seeks an experienced electronics technician to join the LIGO controls and data acquisition team at LIGO Hanford Observatory in Washington State. LIGO is a large experimental physics facility whose purpose is the observation of gravitational waves from space. The successful candidate will join the ongoing upgrade to the observatory detectors. The position is located in Richland, Washington and is for a 2 year, renewable term.
LIGO is sponsored by the U.S. National Science Foundation to research, develop, and implement techniques for the detection of astrophysical gravitational waves. Facilities include research and development sites on the Caltech and MIT campuses and laser interferometer observatories located at Hanford, Washington and Livingston, Louisiana. For more information see the project web site at http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/
Some travel to may be required to the LIGO Livingston Observatory (Livingston, LA) and/or to our LIGO facilities at the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
The successful candidate will provide technical support to a team involved in the development, design, fabrication, and testing of advanced electronic equipment, instruments and apparatus for research activities at LIGO Laboratory. Working under project leader supervision, the successful candidate will have the following duties:
- Assist engineering in fabricating, assembling, installing, and testing complex electronic control systems;
- May assist in the design parts and control programs;
- May assist in developing and executing test procedures;
- Order and fabricate parts;
- Other duties as assigned.
Must be able to drive over 5 miles to facilities
- AA degree or equivalent and 2+ years of experience as an electronics technician.
- Multilayer surface mount circuit board fabrication experience.
- Wire harness, cabling and chassis fabrication experience is a must.
- Good verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Must have experience in taking technical direction from engineers and scientists in a research environment.
- Equipment installation and troubleshooting duties require:
Must be able to climb ladders or work behind equipment racks or in under-floor/crawl spaces.
- Must be able to walk and/or stand for significant periods of time.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds, typically mechanical and electrical parts: cable trays, power supplies, electronics racks, and similar items.
- Must have a valid Driver's License and maintain it throughout the course of employment.
- Test experience in digital, RF and analog electronics;
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
- Ability to work with personal computer spread sheets, text processor software, programming skills, and LabView knowledge would be a plus.
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
California Institute of Technology - 2 years ago