Associate Research Scientist
Job ID : 2012-14080
# of Positions: 1
Posted Date: 11/19/2012
Job Location: US-MULTIPLE CITIES
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Category: Professional Development
Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world's leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit www.pearson.com.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Pearson, Uncommonly Rewarding
Pearson is the world’s leading education company, providing educational materials, technologies, assessments and related services to teachers and students of all ages. We operate in more than 70 countries. We are also a leading provider of electronic learning programs and of test development, processing and scoring services to educational institutions, corporations and professional bodies around the world.
Assessment and Information
We are also the largest provider of educational assessment services and solutions in the US (www.pearsonassessments.com), developing, scoring and processing tens of millions of student tests every year. We mark school examinations for the US federal government, more than half of US states, and score more than 100 million multiple-choice tests and 30 million essays every year. Pearson also scores the National Assessment of Educational Progress (the only federal nationwide test), and college entrance exams. Our formative assessment products measure progress and forecast student growth towards US state performance standards.
Psychometrics and Research Services
Pearson develops high quality educational assessment content and applies extensive psychometric experience and expertise during the test development, administration, scoring, and reporting processes. Our Research Scientists inform these processes by engaging in basic and applied research about innovations in testing and measurement and provide research reports, testing tools, policy briefs, and guidelines for best practices.
Associate, Research Scientist
The Associate Research Scientist at Pearson is engaged in dynamic challenges from real needs in the education industry that provide opportunities to develop creative and innovative solutions for our clients. Our Associate Research Scientists have meaningful collaborative relationships with the very best and brightest talents across Pearson and peers from the measurement community. They do this with the full support of senior leaders at Pearson to balance professional and personal life with flexible work arrangements coupled with an ongoing commitment to grow talent, support innovation and continually invest in their employees. Collective outcomes are achieved through the collaboration of the wide ranging talents of the team. In an ‘Always Learning’ environment the Associate Research Scientist are active participants in the measurement community whose hard work is recognized by rewarding opportunities to attend conferences, travel to client sites, above market salaries and lucrative bonus plans.
Whether in San Antonio (sanantonio.gov) where art, culture and history collide, the live music capital of the world, Austin (austintexas.org), the heart of the Midwest and cultural gem, Iowa City (icgov.org), or the ‘Green Country’ of Tulsa (cityoftulsa.org), Pearson has a location to suit your personal lifestyle.
Associate Research Scientist - Responsibilities
Familiarity with Psychometric Techniques or Techniques Associated with Other Relevant Areas of Expertise
- Familiarity with applied psychometric techniques—including classical test theory, item response theory, test equating, scaling, linking, and standard setting
- OR familiarity with applied techniques associated with the scientist's specific area of expertise
Familiarity with Software Packages and Programming Languages
- Familiarity with software packages and programming languages commonly used in psychometric work or measurement research (e.g., SAS, SPSS, WINSTEPS, BILOG, MULTILOG, PARSCALE, C++, SPLUS, FORTRAN)
Scaling and Equating
- Conducts analyses for item calibration, linking, and equating under the guidance of more senior research scientists
Grants, Research, and External Funding
- Understands grant and research proposal application/writing process
- Scopes extent of analysis work anticipated with proposed research study under the guidance of more senior research scientists
Test Construction/Field Testing
- Works under guidance from more senior research scientists in the construction of test forms and the preparation of items for various testing purposes
- Contributes to assessment sections of proposals under guidance from more senior research scientists
Knowledge of Educational Trends
- Gathers information about national and state trends in education and considers this information when conducting analysis work
Communication Skills, Technical Presentations, and Client Contact
- Demonstrates communication skills (oral, written, and business) necessary to function effectively with internal project teams and external clients
- May present technical information to different audiences (e.g., client groups or technical advisory committees) with guidance from more senior research scientists
- Makes presentations at national conferences
- Serves as an internal Psychometric and Research Services (PRS) contact (e.g., represents PRS in meetings and other communications) for a testing program or research project
Project and Talent Management
- Demonstrates project management skills necessary to complete assigned PRS tasks in a timely manner
- Supports hiring process through applicant interviewing
- Provides career plan information
- Aligns goals with department goals
- Follows existing processes
Education and Work Experience
- Doctoral degree in educational measurement or a related field from a nationally recognized institution of higher education
- Willingness to travel as necessary
Pearson Education - 21 months ago
Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in education, business information, and consumer publishing. Our...