There is a community that exists inside our organization. Working as a team at Ashford University, we build partnerships while providing opportunities for students and employees to grow and become their best. We nurture our employees and strive to promote from within.
Ashford University’s vision is to provide high-quality, accessible and affordable degree programs that meet the diverse educational needs of individuals pursuing informed personal goals and success in their professions and communities.
Ashford University was founded on the principle that education improves lives. Ashford University employees witness such change every day. Ashford University believes that our true measure is found in the good works that we do is doing well by doing good, and this causes us to value each opportunity we've been given.
The Associate Vice President of Diversity Strategy & Outcomes position is a full-time employment opportunity. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Chief of Staff, the AVP will provide visionary and strategic leadership on diversity and inclusion at all levels of the University, and will provide leadership that drives strategic and procedural improvements throughout the University that will advance our commitment to our core values and desired outcomes. This position is responsible for strategic leadership, development, and measurement of programs and processes that promote and sustain diversity, equity and respect throughout Ashford University.
The AVP of Diversity Strategy & Outcomes will be responsible for developing the strategies, relationships, procedures and deliverables that align Diversity strategy with overall University strategic goals in relation to current and prospective employees and students, with the University’s mission, vision, purpose, values, strategies and brand. The position will be responsible for developing KPI benchmarks that demonstrate the desired results in regard to diversity and inclusion goals set as a part of overall University strategy. The position will be responsible for building strong relationships with the University leadership and management to establish and achieve the desired diversity outcomes. The position will coordinate and align strategies, procedures and activities with the corporate parent. The AVP of Diversity Relations will also lead and coordinate the University’s internal and external communication efforts related to diversity, inclusion, educational and employment equity, affirmative action, cultural understanding and competency, civil and human rights.
The AVP will assure that we have the necessary leadership to oversee University efforts to (a) consolidate faculty strengths (b) leverage collective capabilities (c) seek opportunities for recognition throughout the community and (d) advance diversity efforts within University systems.
Essential Job Duties:
- Develop University Diversity strategic plan in alignment with overall University strategic goals.
- Develop and achieve key metrics (outcomes) which define the attainment of diversity and inclusion strategic goals.
- Advance Ashford University’s mission, values and objectives related to diversity, equity, affirmative action, inclusion, and human rights by augmenting existing programs, policies, and initiatives as well as developing new ones as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with all stakeholders in an institutional culture of shared governance, including Vice Presidents, University counsel, Deans, Associate Provosts, directors of academic and administrative units, etc.
- Works with parent company to advise and coordinate efforts to recruit and retain a diverse community of faculty, staff, and students for the University.
- The AVP serves as a champion and advocate for diverse and international students and also as resource to faculty and staff on working with students from diverse and/or international backgrounds as the University continues to build an inclusive culture that strengthens and celebrates its multicultural and intercultural community. The AVP will work closely with university leaders to develop, implement, and assess university-wide goals and provide unified coordination for supporting student diversity online and on campus.
- Collaborating closely with the offices of Admissions, Human Resources, and Corporate Relations will be essential as the AVP advances efforts to develop articulation strategies and agreements with community colleges and other institutions, corporations, government agencies, and foundations that will encourage recruitment of students from diverse backgrounds, as well as the funding for educational programs, student scholarships, and fellowships for underrepresented students.
- Develop internal communications strategies, tactics and deliverables to engage, motivate and align employees with Ashford University’s vision, purpose, values and strategies, including supporting the leadership team and corporate communications leader with the development of communications plans to support our mission.
- Oversee the alignment and integration of strategy messaging into regularly scheduled internal communications in coordination with other communications team members.
- Oversee alignment of University’s internal communications platforms, such as the Quad, the Clarion student paper, and Insite, with Ashford’s overall core values.
- Collaborate with counterparts on the public relations team and in other functional areas of both Ashford University and the corporate parent (marketing, human resources, finance, etc.) to ensure that communications are planned, sequenced and integrated across the enterprise.
- Serve as a resource for best practices.
- Promote University outreach to underserved communities for pre-college student development.
- Provide support for recruitment, retention, and success of underrepresented students and employees.
- Assure compliance of University employment policies and programs with all applicable guidelines.
- Coordinate Compliance with American with Disabilities Act and Title IX.
- Assure effectiveness and impact of affirmative action programs and other inclusion strategies
- Collaborate with University and organizational partners in Investigation of complaints of violations of anti-harassment and anti-discrimination policies and laws.
- Collaborate with corporate parent to report information on equal opportunity, affirmative action and other inclusion strategies.
Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
o Organizational Vision - Understands the business and how their position aligns with and contributes to business objectives.
Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
o Communicating Effectively - Practices active listening is able to write clearly and professionally, and speak to others appropriately and professionally.
Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, student community.
o Drives for Results - Job performance is focused on achieving goals related to the effective execution of job duties.
Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
o Planning/Project Management - Effectively completes assigned projects by breaking down projects into process steps and delivering results according to established completion schedules.
Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
o Championing Change - Initiates, accepts and supports organizational change. Creates a culture that expects change and reacts with the understanding, perspectives, tools and techniques to make change seamless and effortless.
Leading People: The second leadership competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values.
o Relationship Management - Working with direct reports, peers, etc internal and external to accomplish goals.
o Leveraging Diversity of Thought - Fosters an inclusive workplace environment where different viewpoints are valued and leveraged to achieve the objectives, vision and mission of the organization.
Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals.
o Human Capital Management - Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
Building Communication: The fourth leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization.
o Influencing/Negotiating - Asserts own ideas and persuades others, yet understands and respects agendas and perspectives of others. Leads and affects change by effectively communicating their idea/point of view and focusing on producing positive future outcomes for the customer.
Driving Results: The fourth competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results.
o Accountability - Assumes responsibility for successfully accomplishing work objectives and delivering business results. Sets appropriate standards of performance for self and others.
- The successful candidate will be an articulate spokesperson and advocate for diversity and inclusion within Ashford University’s core values, with a record of successful leadership.
- Successful record of experience and leadership in advancing diversity in the higher education environment.
- 5+ years of Higher Education communications experience; exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Proven ability to develop, align and execute effective departmental strategic plan.
- Proven ability to initiate, build and maintain effective collaborative relationships throughout all levels of University and/or organization.
- Proven experience managing staff and resources.
- Demonstrated experience defining and managing internal communications strategy in support of a complex Higher Education environment.
- Effective presentation and communication skills; ability to learn new subject areas quickly
- Excellent listening and communication skills, oral and written.
- A record of integrity, good judgment, and interpersonal skills.
- Successful experience in strategic planning, budgeting and staff supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in shared governance.
- Successful record of collaboration and partnerships with the external stakeholders and the larger community.
- Understanding of equal opportunity, affirmative action, and other compliance regulations in the context of higher education.
- The position also requires a Masters degree, a terminal degree is preferred.
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.
- Masters degree required, a terminal degree is preferred.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
Technology Changes Everything.
New inventions have already changed the way we look up facts, find our way around town, and communicate with each other. Now technology is changing education, too. Ashford University brings together a worldwide student body with the latest in learning technology as well as a traditional campus in Clinton, Iowa.
Because knowledge is everywhere, for everyone.
We offer our team competitive benefits (M/V/D/401k/ESPP) and salaries, a safe work environment, innovative training, accelerated career advancement, the ability to take classes and programs gratis, and a collegiate and collaborative environment to work and grow in. Ashford University understands that our success depending on the development of strong leadership within the organization.
To be considered an applicant, all interested and qualified parties MUST apply through the Ashford University online employment application system.
For additional information about our University, please visit www.ashford.edu.
Ashford University is an Affirmative Action employer that provides Equal Employment Opportunity to all employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, handicap or disability, or Vietnam-era or special veteran status. This policy is established and administered in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Notice to Prospective Employees
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the “Clery Act”), prospective employees are entitled to request and receive a copy of Ashford University Annual Campus Security Report. The Report can be accessed at 2011 AU Campus and Safety Report. The report includes certain campus safety policies and statistics on reportable crimes and incidents that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings, and on public property immediately adjacent to campus or accessible from campus for three previous years. The policies include campus security policies, crime prevention, and alcohol and drug use, and sexual assault, among others. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please contact HumanResources@bpiedu.com.
Wait, there’s more… For more up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @AshfordUCareers and @BPEdCareers
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...