Reports To : Vice President, Technology Operations and Services
Department: Information Technology
Office Location : Charles Town, WV
FLSA Status : Exempt
Date Posted : January 9, 2013
Date Closing : Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The Associate Vice President (AVP), Information Technology (IT) Service Delivery will be responsible for the delivery of IT support to key constituents (students, faculty, and staff) and for maintaining a positive relationship with individuals at all levels. The AVP, IT Service Delivery and his/her staff will serve as first-touch response and support for all users of the University’s information systems. The AVP, IT Service Delivery and his/her staff will provide first level support as applicable to students, faculty, and staff for the following items:
In addition to first and second level support, the AVP and his/her staff will provide:
- Installed packaged systems, including but not limited to Great Plains, Onbase and eGain.
- Users (students and faculty) of the University’s classroom environment and proprietary database.
- Desktop systems and connectivity to the University’s network.
- Telephone, video conference, and call center systems.
The incumbent will work closely with and report to the Vice President (VP), Technology Operations and Services and must possess a strong, working knowledge of modern IT management and service delivery methods. This position will directly supervise three-four IT Managers and will be responsible for the overall development and training of department staff.
- End user training and documentation for packaged systems.
- End user training for all desktop platforms.
- Setup, configuration, and roll-out of equipment for new users as well as upgrade services for existing users.
- Planning and coordination of the purchase and implementation of end user personal computer (PC) hardware and software.
- Asset management and tracking services.
- Peripheral support, supplies and vendor communications as required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Works with the VP, Technology Operations and Services to define department goals and objectives that align with and support overall IT and American Public University System (APUS) goals and objectives.
- Works with the VP, Technology Operations and Services to develop the annual department budget and operating plan.
- Works with the VP, Technology Operations and Services and key stakeholders to develop service level objectives for Customer Care operations.
- Works with the VP, Technology Operations and Services to create and maintain a catalogue of existing services offered by IT. Analyzes, reviews and measures service level performance against agreed upon service level agreements (SLAs) with the business and operating-level agreements (OLAs) with service providers (internal and external).
- Delivers exceptional service to students, faculty, and staff and establishes metrics to track and report on service level related performance.
- Directs University Customer care functions in a way that results in the delivery of exceptional service to students, faculty and staff.
- Directs efforts to define, deploy, and maintain industry standard IT support processes and tools that enable the continuous and consistent delivery of high quality services.
- Displays strong analysis and problem solving skills; analyzes situations accurately and utilizes creative problem solving techniques.
- Analyzes customer care logs to identify potential solution enhancements, technology issues, operational improvement opportunities, and staff training needs.
- Works with the business and service providers to define the proper metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs) in evaluating service delivery quality and performance levels.
- Produces regular reports on service performance and achievement to stakeholders.
- Organizes and maintains the service level review process with the business and service providers.
- Serves as the liaison for tracking, communicating, and managing any temporary changes to service levels, such as extra support hours required by the business or reduced level services for maintenance initiated by service provider.
- Analyzes classroom support problems and requests to identify potential solution enhancements, operational improvement opportunities, and staff training needs.
- Analyzes the training needs of PC users, develops curriculum, and provides quality individual and group training programs designed to ensure maximum utilization of PC and other endpoint computing devices, such as tablets and personal digital assistants (PDAs).
- Plans and coordinates the purchase, installation, and implementation of corporate computer and other endpoint hardware and software according to department standards and procedures.
- Directs the maintenance of PC and hand held software and hardware registration and inventory in a way that ensures upgrades are applied when needed and appropriate security levels are maintained.
- Upholds University policy guidelines and recommends new and improved guidelines to ensure compatibility and quality service to key constituents.
- Promotes the utilization of state-of-the-art techniques when implementing and upgrading hardware and software solutions.
- Ensures customer care operations and procedures are documented and maintained.
- Identifies recurring and potential operational problems; recommends procedures and controls for prevention; and investigates alternative methods to expedite problem resolution.
- Recognizes and identifies potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change or where new policies and procedures need to be developed, especially regarding significant increases in the scale of existing operations or the addition of new business functions or units.
- Manages a team of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in the day-to-day delivery of customer-facing services (faculty, staff and student) that are 7x24x365.
- Builds customer relationships that drive visibility into service opportunities.
- Oversees the timeliness and quality of all work delivered by the Help Desk and Classroom/Faculty Support Teams.
- Collaborates with peers to deliver customer focused services.
- Establishes and maintains strong partnerships with key vendors and suppliers and monitors and manages compliance to all operational and service level agreements.
- Researches, recommends, and implements strategies and initiatives that will improve operational efficiency.
- Oversees the planning, coordination, and execution of internal initiatives that deliver on agreed objectives.
- Manages a team of Subject Matter Experts in the day-to-day delivery of customer-facing services (faculty, staff, and students) that are 7x24x365.
- Oversees hiring, schedules assignments, evaluates performance, and mentors all Customer Care staff.
- Oversees the professional development, training, and career development of Customer Care staff.
- Develops a culture of continuous improvement and an environment that fosters staff growth and development.
- Cultivates, disseminates, and enforces functional policies and procedures.
- Develops, manages, and mentors twenty-five or more employees within the Customer Care department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Strong management, organization, and analytical skills.
- Strong commitment to customer-focused service delivery and support.
- Excellent planning, forecasting and trouble-shooting skills.
- Advanced knowledge of IT customer service delivery best practices.
- Advanced knowledge of IT support best practices.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Ability to set and monitor key staff performance metrics and provide meaningful feedback.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to mentor junior staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum eight years’ experience in an IT customer service role.
- Strong knowledge of customer service and Help Desk best practices and methods.
- Experience managing business processes, budgeting, and business office operations.
- Prior experience managing multiple teams of five or more people.
- Experience with end to end service delivery, development, and maintenance of internal and OLAs and/or SLAs.
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Certification and experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and expertise in IT service life-cycle management models and frameworks, such as ITIL, and process improvement frameworks, such as Six Sigma, or total quality management (TQM).
American Public University System - 2 years ago