Imagine what could be achieved if the best strategic and analytical minds focused their skills and energy on solving the most urgent questions facing public education in the United States. The District Management Council (DMC) is a small, fast-growing firm that assists the superintendents and CEOs of school districts and their leadership teams to dramatically improve public education for all students.
School systems are complex organizations, with some managing billions of dollars in their annual budgets, tens of thousands of staff, and hundreds of thousands of students. Making sustained, system-wide improvement requires robust strategy, disciplined execution and courageous leadership.
The District Management Council (DMC) provides school systems with superior strategic insights and tactical solutions to the most pressing challenges facing school system leaders today. In addition to direct consulting, we research and publish on best practices and develop technology solutions to help district leaders implement and sustain reform. Through our consulting, research and technology solutions, we are recognized as thought leaders in national conversations on education reform including the areas of strategic planning and resource allocation, human capital including pay for performance, special education and struggling students, and in stakeholder engagement.
Description of Position
We are recruiting Associates to join our consulting team in our Boston office. The Associate position offers an opportunity to work directly with respected leaders in public education and to focus on the most strategic, high impact issues that school systems face at an early stage in your career. The role also presents a rich developmental opportunity, with coaching from seasoned leaders with experience running school systems, founding companies, and working at private sector consulting firms including McKinsey, Bain, and Parthenon.
Associates have a wide, evolving range of responsibilities, with opportunities for rapid advancement based on demonstrated success. Typical responsibilities include :
Because we are a small, fast-growing, firm, the individual hired for this position will be a very important member of the company and will be expected to participate in all aspects of our growth and development.
- Helping develop strategy for our client school systems by collecting data, pursuing appropriate paths of analysis, developing key recommendations, and supporting the presentation of findings to clients
- Supporting successful implementation of strategy at client school districts through project management, regular communications and training
- Ensuring that clients fully understand solutions presented, demonstrating patience, empathy, and an appreciation for organizational dynamics and the barriers to change
- Conducting primary and secondary research to expand our library of district case studies, best practices and rigorous analytical frameworks designed specifically for school districts
- Providing feedback and ideas to our software solutions team as they develop technology products to embed reform in our client districts
- Working collaboratively with internal staff to ensure the continued growth and effectiveness of DMC’s programs, including our membership network and events, research and publications, software, and consulting.
Qualifications & Experience
Above all else, we look for two key qualities in our team members. First is superior analytical strength. We seek individuals who possess the curiosity and force of intellect to take complex problems, conduct rigorous analyses, and present solutions in simple and concise terms. The second quality is a passion for service. We seek to hire individuals who derive genuine pleasure from providing a level of service far beyond what is required, and who care deeply about improving our nation’s schools.
The candidate for the Associate position must be on track to graduate from a top-tier university by June 2013 with a record of academic achievement and extracurricular leadership. Candidates should possess excellent problem-solving and brainstorming skills, comfort with quantitative and statistical analysis, and superior interpersonal skills.
Candidates should be able to work both independently as well as collaboratively in a team and be able to present oneself and one's ideas with clarity, confidence and poise.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or physical ability.
Please submit resume and cover letter, including GPA and SAT scores.
The District Management Council - 18 months ago