Practices civil or criminal law for Texas County or District government.
This is the fourth in a series of seven attorney-related job classifications within the Attorneys job family . This classification handles cases and matters that are moderately complex without supervision, handles cases and matters that may result in the least severe consequences without supervision, and handles cases and matters that may result in moderately severe consequences with supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs legal research. Searches resources and studies legal records and documents to obtain information applicable to case or issue under consideration.
- Drafts briefs, motions, orders, subpoenas, contracts and other legal documents, as well as correspondence and reports.
- Takes depositions and responds to discovery requests. Oversees the creation and issuance of legal documents, including subpoenas, motions, orders, writs, warrants, contracts, official policies and other related documents. Represents the State at docket calls.
- Prepares cases for trial. Collects, organizes and prepares evidence, information and other legal materials.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Attorney I - J.D./LL.B from an accredited Law School.
Attorney II - J.D./LL.B and 18 months licensed attorney work experience.
Attorney III - J.D./LL.B and 3 years licensed attorney work experience.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Licensed to practice law in the State of Texas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Jurisprudence, criminal and civil law and procedures, including constitutional and statutory law.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Methods and practices of pleading cases and of effective techniques for presentation of cases in court or to effectively present facts and precedents verbally and in writing in law related matters.
- Policies, practices, procedures and legal terminology related to court system.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Analyzing and appraising facts, policies, procedures and legal precedents in area of specialty.
- Both verbal and written communication, including presentations.
- Conduct legal research and analysis, both manually and electronically.
- Present facts, precedents and arguments verbally and in writing and apply negotiation skills.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently.
- Manage time well and perform multiple tasks, and organize diverse activities.
- Work well under pressure and exercise tact in trying situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 2201 Post Road, Austin
Department: Juvenile Public Defender
Criminal Background Check Required
Travis County - 18 months ago
- 1 day ago
Dept of Family & Protectve Svc
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- 15 days ago
Lorenz & Lorenz, L.L.P.
Austin Bar Association
- 7 days ago