The Assurance Manager is responsible for supervising, directing and reviewing the results through the delegation of tasks throughout the planning, field work and “wrap-up” stages of an Audit client engagement. In this role, the Assurance Manager is charged with marketing, networking and business development within an area of expertise, as well as the responsibility of ensuring engagement profitability involving billings and collections. Traditionally responsibilities of the Assurance Manager will include advising the client on various economic and regulatory risks within their industry, resolving complex accounting issues, apply GAAP and GAAS consistently within complex situations, writing technical consultation memos on GAAP / GAAS issues, and documenting, validating, testing and assessing various financial reporting control systems.
External Job Description - Essential Duties/Functions
Applies knowledge and understanding of the collective effect of various factors on establishing or enhancing effectiveness, or mitigating the risks, of specific policies and procedures.
- Applies a broad understanding of objectives and components of the overall control environment and organization, and supervisory controls
- Validates and assesses effectiveness of internal control over financial reporting
- Identifies and communicates to management and audit committee suggestions to improve client internal controls and accounting procedures
- Identify and delegates functions of the audit to the auditor in charge as deemed appropriate
- Supervise the work of audit team and review workpapers and conclusions preferably onsite during audit field work
- Provide on-the-job-training to the engagement staff during audit field work
Applies knowledge and understanding of governing principles; applying these principles to client transactions; and documenting and communicating an understanding and application of these principles.
- Identifies and consults with clients on the impact of new accounting pronouncements
- Monitors and communicates important professional, industry pronouncements
- Presents and discusses alternative generally accepted accounting principles and arguments for/against such alternatives
- Drafts complex financial statements and related footnote disclosures and effectively communicates these to client
- Identifies complex accounting issues and forms and documents resolution, seeking counsel of BDO technical experts as needed
SEC and PCAOB
Applies knowledge and understanding of SEC regulations and PCAOB guidelines, and documents and communicates the application of these principles.
- Reviews SEC filings, including MD&A, financial statements and disclosures for appropriateness in form, content, completeness, and accuracy, and ensures that quarterly reviews are properly performed
- Reviews required communications to the client and Audit Committee, ensuring their completeness, accuracy and compliance with Firm and professional guidelines
- Reviews Section 404 internal control audit work all necessary checklists to ensure their completeness and compliance with Firm and professional guidelines
- Ensures compliance with engagement independence requirements and consults internally as needed
Applies knowledge and understanding of professional standards; application of the principles contained in professional standards; and the ability to document and communicate an understanding and application of professional standards on an engagement.
- Applies a thorough knowledge of professional standards/practices, including GAAS and PCAOB in performing and supervising work
- Provides guidance to others and affirms conclusions made by others
- Communicates matters required to be reported to the Audit Committee/Board and those charged with governance
- Applies the use of efficiency tools such as statistical sampling, CAATS, etc.
Applies knowledge and application of BDO standards that guide effective and efficient delivery of quality services and products.
- Conducts detailed review to assure audit is completed in accordance with assurance manual standards
- Prepares or reviews required communications to management and audit committees, ensuring timeliness and completeness
- Recommends appropriate outcomes to critical issues
- Initiates and prepares client acceptance/retention procedures where appropriate
- Plans the audit process and oversees the execution of procedures with quality, efficiency, and completeness despite pressures of deadlines.
- Executes proper BDO methodology including but not limited to proper archiving procedures
- Considers Sarbanes-Oxley rules in understanding and executing service plans for combined 404 and financial statement audits for public clients
Applies methodology used to seek or maintain information from authoritative sources and to draw conclusions regarding a target issue based on that information.
- Defines methodology to conduct research projects and completes in a timely manner
- Applies comprehensive knowledge of all appropriate research tools and draws conclusions based upon appropriate research
- Prepares memo supporting research/conclusions and consults with others if appropriate
- Presents issues to RTD or concurring reviewer effectively and accurately
- Responsible for supervision of Associates and Senior Associates on all projects
- Review work prepared by Associates and Senior Associates and provide review comments
- Act as a Career Advisor to Associates and Senior Associates
- Schedule and manage workload of Associates and Senior Associates
- Provide verbal and written performance feedback to Associates and Senior Associates
- Teach/coach Seniors and Associates to provide on the job learning
- Other duties as required
External Job Description - Qualifications
- Bachelors in Accounting or equivalent required
- MBA/Master’s degree in Accountancy preferred
- Five (5) to seven (7) years prior work experience in public accounting
- Prior significant supervisory experience
- Licensed CPA or international equivalent
- Experience in the use of various assurance applications and research tools as is appropriate for this level
- Microsoft Office Products, including Windows, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Sound GAAP and GAAS knowledge
- Familiarity with SEC and PCAOB reporting rules
- Possess proven solid verbal and written communication skills
- Possess excellent people development and delegation skills, including training/instruction and engagement scheduling and budgeting
- Possess executive presence - need to be able to be primary contact for the client, prepare and present presentations to clients and potential clients
- Possess client development/relationship-building skills
- Possess solid decision-making skills
- Able to resolve complex accounting issues
- Able to be responsible for business development and marketing
- Able to be responsible for engagement profitability including billings and collections
BDO USA, LLP - 8 months ago