The Auditor reviews and evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of the Company's internal controls systems and the quality of performance in carrying out assigned responsibilities. The incumbent communicates audit results and makes recommendations to improve internal controls and mitigate business/financial risks to all levels of management. As instructed by management, the incumbent is involved in Company projects to ensure appropriate levels of internal controls are included in process design.
Company Assets: Approximately $3.7 BB
Company Revenue: Approximately $1.2 BB
Direct Reports: None
Nature and Scope:
Under the direction of Internal Audit management, the incumbent performs reviews and other projects as directed evaluating financial, operational and information technology controls and efficiencies. Audit assignments may be of a critical or sensitive nature. The incumbent assists in identifying key controls in areas under review and determining audit scope and objectives. Incumbent performs integrated audits - a review of an entire process including information technology, financial and operational processes. The incumbent may also be involved in projects to identify and recommend best practices for specific processes throughout the Company.
The Integrated Auditor is responsible for executing assigned Sarbanes-Oxley testing of internal controls to ensure compliance. This responsibility includes working with the department’s Auditor responsible for managing Sarbanes-Oxley testing.
- In performance of audit activities, abide by the Code of Ethics and the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and departmental policies and procedures.
- Conduct integrated audits under the direction of Internal Audit management. Obtain, interpret, analyze, and evaluate evidence as a basis for an informed, objective opinion on the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal control system. Conducts Sarbanes-Oxley testing under the direction of the Auditor responsible for managing this project.
- Assist in planning the scope and objectives of audits and developing comprehensive, practical audit programs as appropriate.
- Make oral and written presentations to management during and at the conclusion of audits, expressing opinions on the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of internal control.
- Appraise the adequacy of corrective actions taken to improve deficient conditions.
- Develop productive relationships with auditee management and non-management personnel to facilitate communications and keep abreast of potential risks to the Company.
- Keep abreast of current audit techniques and information technology to achieve effective, comprehensive audit coverage and recommend efficiencies to improve the internal audit process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field
- 2 or more years of experience in auditing
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license
- Integrated audit and flow charting experience as well as experience in public accounting and/or internal audit
- Experience in asserting and testing controls (Sarbanes Oxley)
- Strong interviewing and teamwork skills to perform information gathering and audit analysis
- Ability to interact and communicate with all levels of management through verbal presentation and written audit reports
- Excellent organizational, analytical, problem-solving and oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management and staff
- MBA or master’s degree in Accounting, Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience with ACL, IDEA and/or other similar data retrieval tools for auditors
- Auditing experience dedicated to IT auditing or experience in the IT industry
- Other professional certifications such as CISA, CIA, CFE
- Sedentary work exerting negligible amount of force frequently or constantly and/or up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, involves sitting most of the time at a computer, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time
- Good visual acuity and hearing
- Occasional travel to other work locations and may include overnight stay
The above job description does not encompass the totality of the responsibilities, obligations, competencies, tasks, and duties required of this position, and is intended only to convey the general requirements and accountabilities sought of the employee(s) assigned to this classification and potential applicant(s). Piedmont Natural Gas Company, Inc (“Piedmont”) reserves the right, at any time and in its sole and absolute discretion, to adjust this job description and the information provided herein. This job description is not intended as, and in no way constitutes, an employment contract.