Reporting to the Associate Director of Audit, this position is responsible to evaluate administrative and financial internal controls throughout the University for compliance with University policies, procedures, Yale Standards of Business Conduct and applicable state and federal regulations. |
1. Plans, organizes and executes internal operational, risk based and financial audits; conducts interviews of department personnel in order to gain an understanding of processes. Documents and verifies internal control procedures. Utilizes sample selections to walk through transactions to assure internal control processes are operating as intended and risks are mitigated to an acceptable level for the University. Electronically documents audit results and findings in accordance with Institute of Internal Audit (IIA) standards
2. Develops and communicates verbal and written findings and recommendations in order to reduce potential risks to an acceptable level. Utilizes IIA standards to document findings including, Criteria, Condition, Cause, Effect and Recommendation. Works with Management to develop solutions and action plans to address areas requiring improvement. Acts as a catalyst for identifying root causes and constructive changes to administrative systems and control procedures.
3. Maintains communication with client in order to verify remediation of audit findings are performed timely as documented in Management Responses of audit reports.
4. As a governance partner with management, influences the development of policies and procedures for the University through the effective presentation of the audit results.
5. Conducts confidential investigative audits and other special assignments.
6. Continually acts as a catalyst to enhance risk based audit programs as regulatory requirements change impacting changes to policies and procedures. Researches audit related topics and issues using web based tools that provide access to information available from state and federal agencies, higher education industry groups, professional organizations and other authoritative sources.
7. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or business administration and three years of related professional experience in either a public or internal audit environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting and audit principles. Developed analytical, financial analysis and research skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations applicable to higher education and non-profit organizations.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment; strong communication skills including the ability to write with simplicity and clarity.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to work independently and effectively with the staff and management of the departments or areas under audit.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven ability with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Experience with computer based accounting and financial applications.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience conducting risk based, operational and/or financial auditing. Knowledge of University policies, procedures and financial systems.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
CPA or CIA.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
What do former President George W. Bush and actress Meryl Streep have in common? They are Yalies. Yale University is one of the...