Facilities Management Administration
Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable (No less than $35,000)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Director of Engineering Services
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
Assist in production of design and construction documents for various related projects using AutoCAD, specification software and other computer aided design tools. Maintain record drawing and other files. Incorporate content from campus community into campus Geographical Information System ( GIS ). Facilitate access to and security of GIS and other department files. Manage storage, retrieval and security of tactile and digital record drawings and files. Advise and make recommendations to the director of engineering services and others on all aspects of design and construction, construction cost, life safety and code compliance in pursuit of university objectives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Assist in production of design and construction documents, including drawings and specifications for architectural, structural, mechanical, HVAC , plumbing, civil and site projects.
2. Create and implement CAD standards for documentation of civil, architectural, mechanical and electrical designs.
3. Create and incorporate content, manage and facilitate access to and security for campus GIS .
4. Provide supervision and technical expertise for the layout and production of site and property boundary survey documents.
5. Maintain proficiency in the use of AutoCAD and other computer based design tools.
6. Maintain complete and current project files including as built tactile and computer based construction drawings.
7. Assist in the review of construction documents prepared by outside services and/or university personnel.
8. Assist engineers and others within the facilities organization with the design and management of all aspects of projects as required.
9. Assist the engineers and Director of Engineering Services in conducting the general activities of the unit.
10. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
11. Integrate safety practices into daily activities.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
• Associates Degree in Engineering Technology or Architectural Technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Five years progressively combined experience in production of plans and specifications for commercial and/or institutional building and site design and/or construction or similar experience, such as project management.
• Experience using personal computers and basic software packages including AutoCAD, word processing, and spreadsheets.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor of Science or Masters of Science in Engineering, Architecture, or related fields.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all constituencies of a diverse university and local/state community
• Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions in the work place
• Ability to be creative, flexible, self-motivate, quality oriented, and to maintain a professional service oriented relationship with faculty, staff, and students.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
• Experience using GIS software and Building Information Management ( BIM ), computer aided design application software, such as MEP , Revit, CloudWorx, SketchUp, Chief Architect, Autodesk Architectural Desktop, AutoCAD Civil 3D, Revit.
• Experience interpreting building codes including life safety and ADA .
• Experience dealing with contractors and understanding of construction bidding process.
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch or crawl, reach with hands and arms; and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk and hear, and use hands to finger or feel an object.
• The employee must occasionally lit up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and color vision, and the ability to focus.
• The work environment characteristic described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally exposed to wet, humid conditions (weather and non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electric shock and vibration. The employee is occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts; and work in high, precarious places. The employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
• The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
Personal Protective Equipment ( PPE ): *
On occasion, safety glasses, hard hat and safety shoes.
Required University Training:
• Employee Safety Overview
• Sexual Harassment Training
• Annual Data Security Training
Required Departmental Training:
• Confined Space Training
• Employee Safety Orientation
• Fire Safety and Fire Protection
• Asbestos Awareness Training
• Hot Work Permits Training
• Lead Safety Training
• Scaffold Use Training
• Slips, Trips and Falls Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Technological University - 7 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...