Scope of Position
This position is responsible for operating and maintaining the plant in a safe, environmentally sound and efficient manner. In addition; train, direct and evaluate assigned personnel in accordance with Company policies and government regulations.
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
Division/Department: Operations & Mainatenance
Location: Harleyville, SC
This position is required to works in all areas of the plant site, both indoors and outdoors. Rotating shift work required. Some travel required. Work in confined spaces and at heights greater than 100 ft. required. Work with high temperature, high pressure steam and water systems as well as high pressure air and fluids is required. Work with chemicals is required.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills, read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve complex problems, observe and interpret situations, use math and mathematical reasoning; deal with changing, intensive deadlines, and interact with internal and external clients. Must be able to concentrate while under time constraints.
The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and wet or humid conditions. The employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes or airborne particles, potential risk of electrical shock and vibration.
At the Power Plant facility and in/out door environment, must be able to work in adverse conditions that may include, but not be limited to the following:
• May be exposed to hazards associated with power and hand tools, dust, fumes, high pressure steam, high temperatures and confined spaces; and may be regularly subject to external environmental conditions such as cold, heat dust, snow or noise and fumes from equipment or chemicals.
• While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to climb stairs, ladders, and work on elevated platforms. Must be able to stand for long periods of time, operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. Must be willing to tolerate awkward and stretched positions while stooping, crouching, or kneeling to perform daily duties.
• Must be able to operate hands tools in a safe manner, listed but not limited to, such as shovels, rakes, brooms, air and water hoses, hammers and wrenches, etc.
• Work shift hours, overtime, and irregular hours as needed to support reliable operation of the facility. From time to time the working hours will be determined on short notice based on plant requirements.
• Ability to handle quick changing situations under stress and to work extended hours on short notice if and when required.
• Must be able to lift 45 pounds overhead and 75 pounds from the floor to 36 inches.
• Must be willing to travel to other facilities if needed
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color distinction with vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Noise levels are moderately loud and may vary in various areas of the plant site.
• Must be able to work around high voltage.
• Must be able to work in Confined Spaces as listed below;
o Boiler drums are 18” x 14”, oval
o Deaerator, Storage Tank and Flash Tank are 16” x 16” round or 16” x 12”, oval
o Furnace and undergrate doors are 24” x 18”, 22” x 18” or 18” x 14”, rectangular
o Economizer bundle 16” x 16”, square
o ID Fan 25” x 25”, square
o FD Fan 20.5” x 20.5”, square
o Precipitator Hoppers 24” x 24”, square
o Stack 18” x 18”, square
o Bark Hopper accesses 24” x 18”, rectangular
• Must have manual dexterity and ability to manipulate keyboards.
• Must be capable of wearing respirators and working in dusty environments, such as Confined Spaces.
• Responsible for Local System checks of each equipment and/or system including oil checks, sample gathering, system line-up and isolation.
• Report abnormalities / discrepancies to the Shift Supervisor for work order implementation and possible impact on operations.
• Assist the Shift Supervisor with the Operation of distributed control systems as required.
• Monitor systems to ensure proper operations, perform routine equipment safety checks, inspections and test.
• Take measurements and readings and compare with standards; implement corrective actions within established procedures.
• Maintain plant operating records and logs.
• Perform routine evaluations of boiler, cooling tower, demineralizer, and RO unit water chemistry and make necessary changes to chemical feed systems and regeneration of systems to ensure continued plant operation.
• Inspect and monitor environmental equipment and make appropriate notifications.
• Identify and correct problems; report problems requiring further action to Maintenance.
• Perform routine preventive and predictive maintenance on systems and equipment; support corrective maintenance efforts on selected equipment.
• Performs other comparable non-operating duties during plant shutdowns.
• Oversee the work of other crafts on assigned shift as necessary.
• Respond to alarms in a timely manner; operate firefighting equipment as necessary and within reason.
• Maintain professional competence in the field of power plant operations.
• Maintain a safe work environment though job planning, housekeeping and identification and correction of hazards.
• Adhere to all applicable health & safety, environmental and administrative policies, procedures and regulations.
• Assist in development of Plant Operating Procedures.
• Must follow proper event notification and communication protocols to management.
• Answers the telephone when necessary in a professional manner.
• Attend morning, monthly and quarterly meetings.
• Attend training, implement and pursue personal development goals.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• 12 years formal education (High School Graduate) or equivalent.
• Two to five year’s prior Power / Process plant experience; preferably with biomass or other solid fuels.
• Ability to productively work independently and as an overall integral team member.
• Must have strong communication skills and the ability to effectively organize and facilitate process teams.
• Ability to understand contractual issues as they relate to plant operations and maintenance.
• Travel to other plant locations and to corporate may be required.
• Knowledge in Balance of Plant systems start-up, normal operation, emergency, and shutdown of plant.
• Thorough knowledge of equipment isolation and LOTO procedures.
• Experience responding to plant abnormal situations, alarms, and emergencies.
• Thorough knowledge of the location, purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
• Experience aligning, switching, isolating, and paralleling electrical equipment and systems
• Demonstrated ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings, electrical one-lines, logic drawings, technical manuals and P&ID's.
EDF Renewable Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
EDF Renewable Energy - 9 months ago
EDF Renewable Energy is a leading U.S. independent power producer with more than 25 years of expertise in the renewable industry, covering...