--MUST APPLY ONLINE--
Position is subject to furlough days.
Under general supervision of certificated staff, transcribes a variety of educational materials into alternative formats; provides support to the District’s program for students with visual impairments.
Transcripts, certificates, or any other required document must be submitted with the online application as an attachment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL LICENSE OR LANGUAGE SKILLS:
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in performing braille transcription in public or private schools, is required.
Education: Must possess a secondary (i.e., high school) school diploma, or its equivalent (GED). Advanced education such as an Associate (AA) degree is desirable.
Special License or Language Skills:
A valid Literary Braille Certificate from the Library of Congress is required. A valid Class C California Driver's License and use of a private automobile may be required for some positions that require driving. For positions that drive, evidence of insurability at standard rates must be submitted in the form of a DMV printout.
Employees must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential duties of a position with or without reasonable accommodation and without hazard to themselves or others.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Working with students with visual impairments
- Specialized braille terms and concepts
- Literary braille code (contracted and uncontracted)
- Nemeth code
- Textbook codes such as; chemistry, music, foreign languages, etc.
- Braille textbook formatting code
- Tactile graphics
- Braille embosser
- Braille translation software (i.e., Duxbury, PerkyDuck, Braille 200 etc.)
- Human guide technique
- Read and transcribe braille (contracted and uncontracted)
- Operate a braillewriter and other specialized equipment
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment
- Ability to take direction
- Exercise good judgment
- Meet deadlines
- Work independently
- Handle stress
- Safely operate a motor vehicle
- Maintain sensitivity to ethnic, religious, cultural and sexual differences