New Technology Development
If you're looking at this ad, you've probably seen all the others out there for Software Engineers. Right now, there are dozens of companies hiring for this role. At least 20 companies are looking for talented engineers in the Portland area alone. You have your pick of places to join.
So why Rentrak?
The answer is simple, really, it's our people. At Rentrak you will work alongside incredibly talented peers building incredible products. Ask any software developer what they like most about their job and they will immediately say "The other developers. I work with brilliant, talented and fun people."
What do software developers do at Rentrak? They are a very important part of our team. These people must deliver solutions to internal and external customers. This may include the design, modification, developing and implementation of software programming applications.
Our developers work with a stunningly large amount of data, and all our programmers here do an amazing job of turning it into something manageable.
Specific duties for this job include:
• Modifies, writes and documents software programming applications.
• Consults with internal and external clients to gather information about program needs, objectives, functions, features and input and output requirements.
• Works with stakeholders to understand problem statements and suggest possible solutions.
• Demonstrates personal ownership and takes accountability for larger assigned tasks.
• Designs and codes screen layouts, graphical user interfaces, printed outputs and interfaces with other systems. Converts designs and specifications into computer code. Compiles code into programs and corrects errors detected in compile process. Analyzes code to find causes of errors and revises programs.
• Consults with client to prototype, refine, test and debug programs to meets needs.
• Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries from others regarding errors, problems or questions about programs.
• May train end users or technical support staff to use programs.
• Ability to estimate, design and develop new modules and complex enhancements to the system.
• Design techniques include re-use, performance and integration concepts.
• Ability to provide accurate estimates and impact of changes or enhancements. Considerations include development approach to align with business target dates.
• Provide system framework and design improvements suggestions for the system. Ability to document and present framework improvements for use by department (‘brown-bags’).
• Understanding of end to end system modules and integration points.
• Ability to suggest design options for concept product features or enhancements.
• Bachelor's degree in a related area as well as 5 or more years of experience or at least 7 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
• Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures.
• Knowledge of object oriented programming languages such as C++, Java, Perl, etc.
• Working knowledge of either back end data processing or front-end reporting and UI frameworks.
Great job, great people, but what else would make you want to take this job? Here are some other things we enjoy at Rentrak:
• Our customer base includes ABC, Universal Studios, Warner Brothers, and many other industry giants.
• We manage more data each year than Visa, Mastercard and Discover combined.
• We're big enough to reach a national audience, but small enough that every developer’s contribution makes a difference.
• Our industry and customer base is growing, providing both opportunities and stability.
• We don't just shuttle data, but develop predictive models and analyze trends.
• We've had fun events like coffee tastings, tailgate parties, renting out a bowling alley for the night, sponsoring a Hood to Coast team, and laser tag. What would you like to do?
If that wasn't enough, Rentrak is located in beautiful Portland, Oregon. Portland is known for its outdoor activities, creative food culture, and lively arts scene. Rentrak also has easy access to Portland's mass transit system, and has a large number of bike commuters.
We understand that programmers are programmers, and we’re more interested in smart, motivated people than in experience in a particular language. We also understand it doesn't take a 70 hour week to produce a good product. Sometimes less is more.
We work in nice open development areas so the developers can share their brilliant ideas, learn from each other, and work together to solve tough problems. We have extensive custom libraries to streamline our work, and our code base is kept well factored and filled with unit tests.
All of our developers work in-house.
We offer a friendly team oriented workplace and our benefits are among the best in the business including matching 401K program, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, wellness programs, tuition reimbursement, an extremely generous vacation package and more.
Rentrak Corporation proudly supports Affirmative Action. Rentrak Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation and pre-employment drug screen. Rentrak participates in eVerify.
*No recruiters or agencies please.
Rentrak Corporation - 23 months ago