Function: Installation and Maintenance – POTS and High Speed Internet. Please take a moment to view this video to learn more about our service techician positions. This video is an example of the type of work you may be exposed to, not specific to this position.
Wage Scale: 2
Location: Tucson, AZ
Typical Work Hours: Meet the needs of our customers, including whether weekend and/or overtime hours are typical.
· Installs, maintains/repairs and tests residential/small business broadband products such as; High Speed Internet (HSI), Networking, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition TV.
· Work with computer operating systems to install and/or repair home and/or small business standard HSI or networking products.
· Analyzes and troubleshoots technical problems or issues.
· Reviews and discusses service order requirements and equipment requests with customers.
· Determines total line quality to customer’s facilities.
· Evaluating customers’ broadband needs and suggests additional/alternative service as appropriate.
· Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
· Uses hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g. multi-meters, HST11) and a laptop.
· Read and interprets customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps blueprints, diagrams, etc. and performs specified work. Includes POTS, HSI, jack work, inside wiring, etc.
· Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
· Interfaces with customer throughout premise visit.
· Employee will be held accountable for customer communication and interaction as well as quality and productivity standards.
PREFERRED Job Qualifications:
- Ideal candidate will have at least six (6) months within the last 5 years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition.
- Ideal candidate will have at least six (6) months of experience within the last five years connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- CenturyLink will consider candidates with knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments
- CenturyLink will consider candidates with computer network education or related experience that relates directly to the installation and maintenance of in home/business networks.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of computer operating systems (i.e., MS 98SE, 2000, XP and above).
- Experience cabling various electronic components (e.g., modems, routers, TVs, stereo systems and home entertainment systems).
- Experience working with CAT5 and COAX wiring.
- Ability to provide efficient, quality customer service to both internal and external customers both face-to-face and over-the-phone.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of test equipment (e.g., volt-ohm meters, transmission measuring sets).
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 75 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
- A valid State driver’s license.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays.
· At least eighteen (18) months within the last 5 years installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business broadband products such as; HSI, VDSL, Fiber to Prem., IPTV, and High Definition.
· Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
· Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
· Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
· Pole-climbing certification.
· Cisco Certifications.
· Microsoft Certifications.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...