This is inspectional work of average difficulty in securing compliance with the City of Fort Lauderdale Ordinances, the Florida Building Code, and other County, State and Federal regulations.
An employee in this class is responsible for inspecting buildings and other structures, land use and land or building development or modification for structural conformance, and for conformity with zoning rules and regulations effective in the City. Although employees receive assistance from a superior on new or difficult inspections, most field work is done independently and requires that knowledge of applicable codes, rules and regulations, and construction methods be combined with skill and tact in explaining standards and reasons for compliance to builders, professional engineers, architects and the general public. Work is subject to periodic checks and inspections, reports are reviewed, and complaints investigated by a supervisor. The employee may be assigned to the Building Division or the Community Inspections Division of the Building Department.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
1. Have graduated from a standard high school or vocational school or possess a G.E.D. certificate from a recognized issuing agency.
2. Possess or be eligible to obtain a Florida driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
3. Have at least five (5) years supervisory experience in various types of building construction.
4. Possess a current Certificate of Competency as a General Contractor issued by the City of Fort Lauderdale, Broward County Central Examining Board, State of Florida, or an equivalent issuing agency OR possess a current license as a residential contractor and/or building contractor, with a current Certificate of Competency issued by the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board or Broward County Central Examining Board of Building Construction Trades. Inspectors employed under this Exception shall be required to attend the first available formal educational course as approved by the Board of Rules and Appeals immediately following employment and shall obtain a Certificate of Competency and General Contractor’s license issued by Broward County, or a State Certified General Contractor’s license, within 18 months of the date of original appointment.
5. Must obtain a provisional certificate as a building inspector from the State of Florida Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board within forty-five (45) days of appointment and must obtain a standard certificate as a building inspector from the above noted Board within one (1) year of date of appointment.
6. Be eligible to obtain certification as a Building Inspector from Broward County Board of Rules and Appeals.
NOTE: Required certifications must be kept current to continue employment in this class.
PLEASE ATTACH OR SUBMIT A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATION TO YOUR APPLICATION.
THE EXAMINATION AND HOW TO APPLY:
Depending on the number of applications and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening , prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form (J-204) .
Effective July 1, 2012: The City of Fort Lauderdale now requires newly hired employees to accept payment by direct deposit. Payment by direct deposit will be a condition of employment and all new hires will be asked to designate where they would like their payroll checks to be directly deposited.