Under direction, operates, maintains, repairs and adjusts heating, instrument lighting, air conditioning, ventilating, refrigeration, water treatment, pneumatic control, fire life safety and other systems; operates, repairs and maintains control panels, compressors, pumps and exhaust fans.
Applications available: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., January 4, 2013 through
ruary 1, 2013. Completed application packets must be received in the Civil Service Department by 4:30 p.m., February 1, 2013. Postmarks will not be accepted. Online applications are highly encouraged.
Please note that our procedure for submitting supporting documentation has changed. Please click on the link for more information (opens in new window).
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Under direction, operates, maintains, repairs and adjusts heating, instrument lighting, air conditioning, ventilating, refrigeration, water treatment, pneumatic control, fire life safety and other systems; operates, repairs and maintains control panels, compressors, pumps and exhaust fans; calibrates and installs thermostats; repairs, maintains and makes emergency repairs to low-pressure steam boilers and to water, air and refrigeration and lines; cleans tubes and tests valves, gauges and other equipment; installs replacement parts and makes minor additions or modifications to existing equipment; performs minor plumbing and electrical repair work on related subsystem equipment; keeps charts and makes oral and written reports; orders and receives supplies; may supervise maintenance personnel; may operate a computerized energy and building maintenance management system; and performs other related duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE:
· Three years (full-time equivalent) paid, journey-level experience in the operation, repair and maintenance of heating, refrigeration, air conditioning, and related equipment of a large structure, which must include one year in the operation and maintenance of a large central air conditioning system.
· An Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mandated Universal Certification for the handling of high and low- pressure refrigerants (proof required.)*
· Completion of an Air Conditioning and Refrigeration certificate program from a community college, trade school or equivalent union approved apprenticeship program (proof required.)*
· Ability to read/troubleshoot from electronic system schematics and experience with computerized building automation control systems.
· Willingness to work shifts, alternate work schedules, nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as required.
· A valid motor vehicle operator's license and a current DMV driving record must be submitted to the hiring department at time of selection interview.
· Desirable Qualifications: experience with large structures (high-rise and/or 100,000 sq. ft) and/or pneumatic controls.
If appointed, candidates will be required to obtain Asbestos and Lead Control certifications prior to passing probation
*Proof of required documents must be uploaded to the online application or included with a paper application at time of filing (see additional information sheet) .
Occupational Written Examination ……………………100%
(Battery-operated calculators are permitted)
A minimum rating of 70 must be attained on the examination. Certification by score bands will be considered based on an analysis of test results. This is a continuous examination. Applicants may take the exam only once during a four month period. Names of qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list in file order within the appropriate band regardless of date tested.
Eligible lists will be established periodically.
If you have not received notification by F
ebruary 12, 2013, contact the Civil Service Department at (562) 570-6202.
This information is available in an alternative format by request to (562) 570-6202. If a special accommodation is required, please contact the Civil Service Department two business days prior to the exam at (562) 570-6202.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
I09NN-13 BME 01/02/13 DMD
City of Long Beach, CA - 21 months ago