To be a good fit for this opportunity you will need:
Your sales skills and business development expertise will be essential, but just as important will be your interpersonal skills. Our most successful people are energetic, outgoing and truly enjoy interacting with customers, relating to them on both business and personal levels. To excel, your core characteristics and competencies should include polished skill in:
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent, preferably in Business.
- At least five years of related experience and/or training. Quick question for you - click here
Within the last 5 years, what role did the following play in your job?
B2B sales experience
Major component of my job all or most of the time Major component of my job occasionally Moderate component of my job all or most of the time Moderate component of my job occasionally Minor component of my job all or most of the time Minor component of my job occasionally Formerly a major component of my job Formerly a minor component of my job Familiarity, but never a component of my job No real familiarity
(Your answer will automatically be saved when you submit your application)
- A solid transportation background. An understanding of both Shippers’ and Carriers’ perspective is a plus. If you’ve worked directly for a dealership or leasing company, you’ll have a distinct advantage in understanding the technology / machinery.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to develop well-considered proposals, business letters, emails, etc.
- Self-motivation and the ability to achieve goals independently.
- A passion for the product. You will be an ambassador for natural gas solutions promoting the facts that natural gas is cheaper, cleaner, domestic -- good for the US, creates jobs, etc.
Relationship building: You’ll grow and maintain relationships with various prospects and decision makers, including city council members, fleet managers, public works directors, trade associations, and C-level executives.
Education: You’ll develop presentations about the economic and health benefits of natural gas vehicles and skillfully present to small, medium and larger groups of decision makers.
Taking point as an expert: You’ll position yourself as a trusted authority who can be counted on to expertly guide clients through the conversion from inception through implementation.
Team collaboration: You’ll work effectively and collaboratively with the Engineering and Operations departments. Both will be central to your success.
Driving for results: You’ll develop and implement plans focused on achieving sales and performance milestones and be resilient in pursuit of the targeted results.
As Business Development Manager you will be responsible for generating sales of natural gas fuel by promoting natural gas vehicle technologies to a variety of fleet customers and market segments. You could be calling on a shipper to talk about the benefits of natural gas, visiting carriers who own trucks, cities… any business that is relying on a truck fleet to conduct that business. You’ll create channel partners with dealers, find perspective customers through phone calls, traveling, attending conferences, and utilizing the Internet, identifying those who will benefit from a change to a natural gas platform.
More specifically, you will:
This role reports to the Regional Business Development Manager.
- Compile lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from newspapers, business directories, industry ads, trade shows, Internet Web sites, and other sources.
- Manage and grow relationships with various prospects, clients, and partners in the natural gas fuel industry.
- Establish and develop relationships with local decision makers (i.e. city council members, fleet managers, public works directors, etc.).
- Educate prospects, local communities, city councils, trade associations, and other contacts on the economic and health benefits of natural gas vehicles.
- Market to new and existing customers through the creation, development, and implementation of various business solutions. Coordinate marketing promotions, including advertising, and special sales.
- Estimate demand for proposed projects based on market research and consumer trends. Develop and deliver presentations on company services to small, medium and large groups.
- Review and understand station contracts and fueling agreements.
- Provide input to the management team on new product or service features to be developed to meet current and future customer needs.
- Work closely with Engineering on the development of assigned projects, and with Operations on station operations and performance.
- Keep account activities and literature up-to-date.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.